ford 801 problem

/ ford 801 problem #1  

eaglesfreak2112

Tractor
ford 801 select-o-speed
hi, i have a 1959 ford 801 select-0-speed and have got a couple problems. we use it every week but the battery seems to drain in the morning when we go to start it, its a brand new battery and new vattery cables. is there something that would draw it down? second when its damp out it seems like it doesnt want to fire it cranks over we put a new coil on it changed the sparkplug wires and it still doesnt fire up like it should. your help would be appreciated . -adam-

/ ford 801 problem #2  
Disconnect the positive battery cable and put a 12volt headlight between the positive terminal and the pos battery cable. With everything off the lamp should not light, if it does something is drawing current. Start unhooking things til you find it.
As far as not starting, they are a pretty susceptible to getting moisture in the distributor cap. Don't lose the little clip on the rotor.

/ ford 801 problem
we've tired a couple distributor caps but it doesnt seem to do it. where is the little clip on the rotor (for reference)?

/ ford 801 problem #4  
The clip is under the rotor.
I have an 861 and have never had any issues with moisture under the cap and mine sits outside all the time.
As posted try the headlight for draw.

/ ford 801 problem
well today i got on her and after having the throttle allthe way open it finally got enough gas to fire the battery held up its charging 6 amps but the day before it wouldnt fire and drained the battery within a couple mins.

/ ford 801 problem #6  
charge the battery good over night, no bat cables on, then let it set a day and check battery.. might be bad.

weak bats make for hard starts..

soundguy