9N wont start

/ 9N wont start #1  

wadeschields

Tractor
Ford 9N
SO - I changed / added new antifreeze to the radiator and let the tractor idle last week on a cool day for about 5 minutes to circulate the coolant so it doesnt freeze over the winter. I walk away and I hear the tractor shut off. Wont start again... I try several times and nothing. I go away for a week and give another try when I get home.... same deal. But this time I check the spark . Yes it has spark. It has gas . in fact the more I try to start it the more flooded it smells. last thing I did was disconnect the hose that goes from the carb at the bottom and curves up and then to the air cleaner. I only got it off of the carb before life called me away again... A little gas ran out of the hose when I disconnected it and out of the carb when I turned it over again..... Just a little... Is that normal? Should I try squirting the carb with starter fluid? What else should I look for... ? It sounded normal when it was idling .... :confused:

Thanks
wade

/ 9N wont start #2  
Where did you see the spark? Is it possible to turn off the fuel and spin the engine to dry it out from the flooded condition?

/ 9N wont start
I used one of those testers that go inline between the wire and the plug. has a glass bit in the center and you can see the spark as its turning over. I did not check all 4 cylinders but the one I did check seemed to have good spark. Not sure how to turn off the gas unless I put a valve in the gas line or just disconnect it.

/ 9N wont start #4  
it came from the factory with a valve at the sediment bowl. if it's boogered up and has no valve, repalce the sed bowl and line and get a valve in there.

if it has spark, look at fuel.

fuel coming out of the mouth of the carb indicates a flooded situation.

spark at all plugs is needed.

post back

soundguy

/ 9N wont start
I will be able to check all of that on Wednesday... Thanks for the info. I let you know how I make out

/ 9N wont start #6  
lookin forward to it.

soundguy

/ 9N wont start #7  
it came from the factory with a valve at the sediment bowl. if it's boogered up and has no valve, repalce the sed bowl and line and get a valve in there.

soundguy

Yep... if I forget to turn the gas off at the sediment bowl - it'll drip fuel out of the carb onto the ground.

Build a puddle; it will...

But the tractor starts right up and runs smooth (after it warms up) without excessive flooding. Was concerned that the float was sticking and causing the gas to eventually drip out of the carb - but I've never had it flood out and wet the engine.

Hope to hear from wadeshields and his solution.

AKfish

/ 9N wont start #8  
ditto that..

/ 9N wont start
Sorry it took so long to reply.... What happened next was--- After weeks of trying . I post here right! Then I get back to the tractor and confirm the gas valve at the bowl. Yes it has one... Learn something new every day. I turn it off and back on again.... Yes it moves... I hop on the tractor and turn the key expecting it to not start just like the last twenty time I tried and WHAM it fires right up!! Its like going to the doctor and suddenly your symptoms are gone .... Hope my issue does not happen again but if it does then you will be the first to hear how I solve it next time.... And good point about turning off the gas valve. I do it on my bikes so why not the tractor.... Thanks for your patience and Happy New Year.....

/ 9N wont start #10  
thanks for posting back

soundguy