NAA Sediment Bowl Question

/ NAA Sediment Bowl Question #1  

Psychoframer

Tractor
Ford NAA
Just wondering if these things are notorius for leaking? I'm new to my tractor, but it seems that anytime I take her out she leaks at the top of the sediment bowl. I plan on replacing the gasket, but I'm wondering if I have another problem. Prior to buying her I knew that she had a new gas tank. I asked the gentleman selling her if he turned the valve on and off after each use? He said he did if he thought of it, but not too often. Upon further invesitgation I noted that the whole thing sets a little catawompus, not terrible, but not level either. Does it need to be perfectly level? Thanks.

/ NAA Sediment Bowl Question #2  
if it's not level.. I'd check to make sure he didn't cross thread the tap into the tank.

clean off with carb spary and check to see if the leak is from the tap to tank.. or from the glas bowl to tap sealing surface.

if it is the glass bowl leaking, remove it and make sure it's edge is not chipped.

oem gasket is cork, though napa has a neophrene one.. and I have made then from thick gasket paper.

tsc sells a new cork with bronze fuel screen..

soundguy

/ NAA Sediment Bowl Question
Soundguy,

Thanks for the reply, that seems like a good Thanksgiving Holiday project.

Tom

/ NAA Sediment Bowl Question #4  
Just wondering if these things are notorius for leaking? I'm new to my tractor, but it seems that anytime I take her out she leaks at the top of the sediment bowl. I plan on replacing the gasket, but I'm wondering if I have another problem. Prior to buying her I knew that she had a new gas tank. I asked the gentleman selling her if he turned the valve on and off after each use? He said he did if he thought of it, but not too often. Upon further invesitgation I noted that the whole thing sets a little catawompus, not terrible, but not level either. Does it need to be perfectly level? Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, sediment bowls are notorious for leaking. The manufacturing process of the sealing edge is pathetic so they sell a thick cork gasket in an attempt to heal the wound. Most usually a good lapping on a diamond lap would improve them considerably.