Cold, cold 9N hydraulics!

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
It gets chilly up here and my FIL's ol 9N gets pretty stiff and slow to respond when I lever up the rear blade.

I'd like to swap out the 80w-90w gear lube with something that will flow better in the cold and still lube the system.

Considered using a Lo-Vis hydraulic fluid but concerned that it won't properly lubricate the transmission.

Any suggestions appreciated.

AKfish

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #2  
You can put in NH 134 oil. It's a 10W-30 hyd/trans oil. Keep in mind that those 9n's can get leaky with the thinner weight oil in them.

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #3  
I used the Ford 134 spec oil in my 41 and it worked fine in the winter but had to use the 85-90W for warm weather. Chicagoland area.

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #4  
Look for a tractor tranmission/hydraulic fluid that meets Ford/NH 134D. Same as what people are posting above. Fine for transmission, hydraulic pump, ring and pinion. There are many choices out there, NAPA, farm supply stores, and every tractor dealer will carry it. Hardly anyone uses the 80W or 90W anymore, not even in the south, let alone Alaska! Philip.

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #5  
ditto what the others said. a utf oil will provide faster hyds in cold areas.. and if you have leaks.. it will leak worse.

me.. i'd go utf there.. and if it leaked or lacked power.. I'd stick in the 50-200$ it needed to rebuild the hyds. it's neither hard nor a long repair. you can pull her in the garage and pull out 8-9 hrs later and do pump and top cover and everything in between.. fo the money and time I listed, as long as the pump is not completely hosed..

soundguy

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics!
ditto what the others said. a utf oil will provide faster hyds in cold areas.. and if you have leaks.. it will leak worse.

me.. i'd go utf there.. and if it leaked or lacked power.. I'd stick in the 50-200$ it needed to rebuild the hyds. it's neither hard nor a long repair. you can pull her in the garage and pull out 8-9 hrs later and do pump and top cover and everything in between.. fo the money and time I listed, as long as the pump is not completely hosed..

soundguy

Thanks for the general agreement - ditch the 80w-90w! No doubt it's gonna leak... it's already got a few here and there; more seeps than real leaks.

But, I enjoy futzing and putzing on tractors and such. So.. looks like a plan - get me some Ford/NH spec 134 fluid and see how tired the pump is and the gaskets are - and go from there.

Thanks again.

AKfish

/ Cold, cold 9N hydraulics! #7  
the leaks I refered to were less of external ones.. and more of internal ones.. ie.. leaks robbing you of hyd power.. but if the seals are weak.. it will leak externally too.

again.. nothing some wrenches won't fix.. check walmart and other stores for the best price on a utf meeting the M2c 134D spec

soundguy