Ford 801 select-o-speed

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #1  

Jnasystems

Silver Member
Tractor
1986 Ford/NH 1520, 1950 Allis Chalmers WD, 2001 NH EC35 (track hoe)
I was looking at a Ford 801 with a select-o-speed transmission and wondered if it worked like a syncro shuttle transmission. The videos I have seen on YouTube show the speed changes, but I wondered if reverse could be included in the selections. If so, that might make for a nice transmission for loader work. Your input and replies are appreciated - thanks.

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #2  
SOSs can be a problem if they was abused.but they are good trannies.im trying to remember where the reverse is on the selector.i think its park nutrel reverse then your gears.you need to drive the tractor an shift through all the gears.making sure that all the gears work.never get off the tractor an leave it running,because it could jump into gear.

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #3  
the 01 series sos trans were the erly ones and more prone to issues.. but also better chance to have been traded out.

as with an sos.. one that is working and was well maintained should continue to work... when they don't.. that's when it can get scary expensive unless you are lucky.

fro loader work I rather like a 5spd.. 3rd and reverse are on the same gate.. so trans stick fore / aft.

mind you there is a sherman reverser tranny available for the 4spd machines that IMHO would be great for a loader.. but the regular crash boxes need to come to a stop before shifting.

the sos is a powershift gear tranny

soundguy

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed
Thanks for the replies, but I am afraid I don't completely understand the answer. First, what is a crash box? Just a standard gear drive? Or is the SOS included in that generalization? It is nice to know there are options out there that will also work well, especially the bit about the Sherman.

To give a little background of what I would like from the tractor - the tractor would immediately be completely disassembled and everything gone through. Once complete, it will be expected to work, but only to keep it exercised. I have about 3.5 acres to till where it would share responsibilities with a 1950 Allis Chalmers WD. I also have a Kubota BX that works around the house, but it would be nice to add a hydraulic pump and loader to an old diesel ford for some jobs out in the woods. I would expect that 70% of the 801s responsibilities would be to look good for shows.

The tractor that caught my eye is an 801 with a diesel engine, SOS transmission, and 4 wheel drive. I thought it would be a cool tractor to keep around. This would my first complete rebuild and was thinking it would cost about $5k to do it for the most part on my own - is this a reasonable assumption.

Thanks

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #5  
Thanks for the replies, but I am afraid I don't completely understand the answer. First, what is a crash box? Just a standard gear drive? Or is the SOS included in that generalization? It is nice to know there are options out there that will also work well, especially the bit about the Sherman.

To give a little background of what I would like from the tractor - the tractor would immediately be completely disassembled and everything gone through. Once complete, it will be expected to work, but only to keep it exercised. I have about 3.5 acres to till where it would share responsibilities with a 1950 Allis Chalmers WD. I also have a Kubota BX that works around the house, but it would be nice to add a hydraulic pump and loader to an old diesel ford for some jobs out in the woods. I would expect that 70% of the 801s responsibilities would be to look good for shows.

The tractor that caught my eye is an 801 with a diesel engine, SOS transmission, and 4 wheel drive. I thought it would be a cool tractor to keep around. This would my first complete rebuild and was thinking it would cost about $5k to do it for the most part on my own - is this a reasonable assumption.

Thanks

801d sos with a 4wd. hmm.. I think I'd buy one... might be elenco!

soundguy

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #6  
Soundguy said:
801d sos with a 4wd. hmm.. I think I'd buy one... might be elenco!

soundguy

An Elenco! The last time I worked on one of those, I had a full head of hair and living the single life :^) musta been '84-'85.

/ Ford 801 select-o-speed #7  
i'd love to get my hands on one. even if the rest of the tractor was junk.. as long as the xfer box and tranny and front driveline was salvageable.. OI'd jump on it.. blown engine or rear end or both.

soundguy