Ford 3000 Hydraulic Filters

/ Ford 3000 Hydraulic Filters #1  

scouse lee

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi guys, I've managed to get my lift cover off & changed the return filter but I'm having trouble removing the suction filter to clean it, does it come out or do I clean it in situ, I've read something about disconnecting the pipe at the pump & blowing air down it, can anyone elaborate on this or give me another solution. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 3000 Hydraulic Filters #2  
If you put the plug in the "level" hole, and add about 1/2 gallon of extra fluid, it will spill over the top and into the pump, bypassing the inlet filter. This will allow the hydraulics to function normally. I ran my 2000 the last (2) years I owned it this way with no issues. That extra 1/2 gallon of fluid is a lot easier than getting at that inlet filter. If you want to get a little more involved, I have heard that some folks have managed to change the filter without splitting the tractor but it was far from an easy job. I would recommend that you at least try the extra fluid before trying to change the inlet filter. The suction filter is almost always the one responsible for operational problems of the hydraulics.