FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #31  
ps.. I have most NAPA part numbers for tune up items if needed.

soundguy

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???
Our uncle was over today and he said he did a minor tune up to it, I'll try to find out what exactly. He replaced the governor but not sure on the other items. What are the recommended fluid specs? Plug recomendations? Fuel filter and oil, I am thinking no matter.. Thank you

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #33  
plugs autolite 437 or champion h12 ( 512 )

oil? I like 15w40.. in cold areas 10w30 if you have ok oil pressure. if low oil pressure.. 20w50

UTF oil like at walmart or tsc is ok for the hyds / diffy ( 5g common sump ).. but in most areas people use 90wt gl1-3 or 80w90 gl5-MT1 yellow metal safe only.

napa 65-205 is gl1 90w

oil filter is a napa 1010 or a fram c3 or c3p

air filter hods half quart of oil.. so buy 6qts to do engine and air filter...

grease all joints.. adjsut brakes.. check coolat.. air tires.

points and plugs gap at .025

soundguy

Oil pressure on the gauge reads 50. It bare moves from idles to full throttle. is there a fuel filter? Didn't see one last weekend. Gonna head up again saturday. Brother inlaw is a top mechanic at Ford so I will let him check all the technical stuff. Are the hydro and tranny using the same fluid? As I don't see an easy inspection plate like on the gear case. Fluid level in the G case ? Is it the flat head screw on the sides? Hydro level is good but I want to change that out. Rear brakes I was told the seals are leaking ..... probably and thats why they aren't working. Is that a difficult repair and can I clean them out with Brake cleaner and get it working after adjustment. pedals do not go to the foot rest.

Thanks again.....

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #35  
There is the fuel bowl under the tank and a screen in the take that serves as a fuel filter u just clean them and a screen where the fuel line goes into the carb. also and u can just clean it to no need to replace any unless broken

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #36  
actually there ar 3 filters. a filter atop the tank tap, a filter in the tank tap, and a filter in t he elbow to the carb.

fuel flow to the carb can be tested by pulling the bowl drain ont he bottom of the carb.

tranny, hydro and diffy share the same 4.5gallons of oil.. either 90wt gl1/3, 80w90 gl5/mt1 marked yellow metal safe, or a UTF fluid meeting the M2C134D spec.

your oil pressure comment is vauge at best. you mention it reads 50but barely moves. ??? is the gauge pegged at 50 when off.. if so.. repalce the gauge.

those machines rarely ever see over 48 psi oil pressure as the oil relief is set around 45.. and that is on a tight engine. some people jimmy the relieg spring and plunger by stretching it .. it's under a big hex head plug onthe front of the engine.

3 drains under the 3 common sumps under the tractor.. and there are inspection covers onthe center section.

brakes.. you will want to pull the axles and repalce the seals ( 1 on early and mid, and 2 on late 8n ).. you MIGHT get away with cleaning the pads with brak cleaner.. but best bet is to repalce them after resealing..

soundguy

There is the fuel bowl under the tank and a screen in the take that serves as a fuel filter u just clean them and a screen where the fuel line goes into the carb. also and u can just clean it to no need to replace any unless broken

Oil pressure gauge at 0 when off it climbs slowly just after start up. As soon as it idles smooth its at 45 or better. When warm and good it stays right between the 40 and 60 mark unless there is a big dip in rpm. We don't have a screen on the inlet or tank fill hole. I will check for the others. There is a clear glass bowl just under the tank. Thing about the axles is there is no visible leaking, so I hope thats what they think is going on. I hope to get the brakes working as thats how I like to steer. Not sure if anyone else is aware of this method. Thanks again......

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #38  
no body said anything about a screen at the fill hole.

that glass sight bowl, if you unscrew it, there is a screen up in the tank around the feed tubes to the site bowl. IN the site bowl, there is a flat screen, then, at the carb, where the elbow connection hooks to the carb, there is a screen IN the elbow.

soundguy

Would it be a good idea to put an inline fuel filter or are the current ones fine. I put in some high dollar fuel system cleaner and in less than 1 hour of running the idle is nice and smooth and it will idle all the way down with no hicups. I adjusted the brakes and they are working great on the right side and fair to good on the left. I read an article about adding an inline filter to the hydro/gear case/ tranny system on the return side. What do you think? Also read a bit on the H10 plugs instead of the 12's. I found an I&T f04 manual at the cabin as well. Lots of nice helpful info in there. I'm gonna go thru the wiring and make sure the correct size wires are in place for that 6 volt system.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #40  
h10 are the oem heat range.. with todays gas.. i HIGHLY reccomend a heat range higher.. like an autolite 437 or the h12 ( 512 )

extra added inline fuel filters often CAUSE more fuel flow problems than they solve.

there is not an easy way to add a hyd filter to the 8n..

the 'return' side on it's sa lift cyl is thru the pump and thru an exhaust valve in the pump.. not something you can pipe thru a filter.. and even then.. you'd be filtering what?. 8oz oil?

when not actively lifting the 3pt the intake valve is closed... you'd do good to look at the schematic of the pump in the service manual...

soundguy