Ford NAA - Do I need a new clutch?

/ Ford NAA - Do I need a new clutch? #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
I have my newly acquired NAA just about ready to go into service. One thing I've noticed is that the clutch really has a different feel than the one on my 9N. The throw is a lot shorter and it feels softer.

In gears 1st thru 3rd and reverse, the tractor takes off very quickly if the clutch is released quickly. However, in 4th gear, even if you "pop" the clutch the tractor seems to take off somewhat slowly - as if the clutch was slipping initially.

The free-play adjustment on the clutch pedal is correct as per the manual.

Is a clutch replacement in my immediate future?

/ Ford NAA - Do I need a new clutch? #2  
hold the brakes and let clutch out in 4th.. if it slips, close up the freeplay a bit past spec.. if that don't help.. it's likely the clutch is reaching the limit of it's lifespan..

soundguy

/ Ford NAA - Do I need a new clutch?
I am happy to report that my NAA is now sporting a brand new clutch and needless to say it made a significant difference. The tractor now easily passes my Cherry Tree clutch test which is... with the snow blade in position, backup to our huge cherry tree and nudge the center of the blade against the trunk. Then while in reverse slowly let out the clutch. If the tractor digs in and spins the loaded tires the clutch passes. It failed before but passes now with flying colors. I can now push over a house. :)

One dumb question (my specialty), I understood the NAA did not have a live PTO but it appears that even so the TPH raises and lowers with the clutch pushed in. Plowing snow with my 9N was always a PITA because the blade would not raise unless the clutch was engaged. So plowing was always lower blade -> push snow -> clutch neutral -> raise blade -> clutch 1st -> go forward -> lower blade -> repeat.

I was just grading our gravel driveway with the repaired NAA and the blade goes up and down regardless whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged.

If that's the way the post 8N tractors are supposed to work I somehow missed that in the write-ups or by reading the owners manual. In any event I'm a happy camper... COME ON SNOW! (ok, maybe that's a little extreme).

/ Ford NAA - Do I need a new clutch? #4  
if you will notice, in front of the right running board is the hyd pump for the 3pt.. and it runs off the engine.. the previous N series had the pump in the bottom of the center section, and it ran off the pto.

naa is a better machine than an N.. and a 640 is better than an NAA.. etc...

have fun and be safe!

soundguy