NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
First - let me say that I really appreciate the help from this forum. Not many places to go to get advice from folks with experience with old Fords.

I purchased a new temperature gauge for my NAA and replacing it was easy enough but the temperature probe will not tighten on the engine. Even once the retaining nut is tight, the probe itself wiggles a bit - and while I didn't start the engine I am sure it would leak coolant big time! :)

I compared the old and new probes and they appear identical except the original probe appears to have a slight flange at the top whereby the new one is more flat.

My new gauge came with a large adapter nut (not needed) and three little tapered rings which I did not use because I couldn't figure out what they were for. After I discovered the probe was loose despite a tight nut I tried sliding one of the tapered rings over the probe but then it would not insert far enough to get the retaining nut started.

I called the place from which I bought the gauge but they weren't much help. I have seen photos of NAA temperature gauge replacements on various websites and they all appear to contain the same parts I received (gauge/probe, large adapter nut, three small tapered rings) - and of course ZERO instructions. :)

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get a tight probe fit?

Thanks!!!

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #2  
is this just an automotive gauge or did you buy the correct cnh part number gauge?

soundguy

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge

Attachments

• Temp_Gauge.jpg
    Temp_Gauge.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 943
   / NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #4  
got all the pieces (bushing) of the old one out?

soundguy

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #5  
I am having the same problem with my temp gauge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tractor5.jpg
    tractor5.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 1,356
I think I have all the parts out. :) All that came out of the engine when I removed it was the probe itself. Did the original probe have any collars, bushings, or other loose parts?

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #7  
collar, on the probe, yes..

soundguy

Hmm... I will have to drain the coolant and check the hole again. I looked in there with a flashlight and didn't see anything but it's certainly possible something is stuck.

Assuming there is a collar in there (and it comes out!), I remove it and use one of those new collars that came with the new gauge? Obviously the original collar doesn't like the new probe as it won't tighten up.

goodguy014 - did you notice a removeable collar when you removed your probe?

I really appreciate the help - it's little things like this that drives you crazy! :)

/ NAA - Problem replacing temperature gauge #9  
There was no removable collar on mine but the old probe was tapered and the new one is flat. They sent 3 of those tapered rings (all the same size) 1/2 inch but the probe itself is 3\8 inch in diameter. I tried putting it in with an o ring but that didn稚 work either. I cleaned the probe hole out with a wire brush and I am pretty sure there are no more parts up in there.

I had a chance to work with the tractor again today. There is definitely nothing in the block hole. I took some photos to illustrate the difference between the two probes. I hope this helps to explain the difference. Sorry the one is fuzzy, my goofy camera kept focusing on the background. :-(

I just received yet another NAA temperature gauge from another source and it has the same probe with the flat mating surface (i.e. won't work).

I'm open for suggestions.

Attachments

• NAA_engine_block_s.jpg
    NAA_engine_block_s.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 2,262
  • New_temp_probe_s.jpg
    New_temp_probe_s.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 3,780
  • Orig_temp_probe_s.jpg
    Orig_temp_probe_s.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 2,012