961 getting warm while brush hogging

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Had the 961 out brush hogging last week and the engine temp was starting to climb on me. The first hour or so was on fairly level ground but high, thick grass and the temps were normal, but the next couple hours were low grass (had brush hogged a couple weeks prior) but going/down some pretty good hills and the temp was starting to climb. It never got to the red end of the guage but it was definately up from normal. The tractor temp usually runs below the "12 o'clock" but when it was getting hot was about half way between the red and 12 o'clock.
I cleaned the radiator out really well last year and checked it and the grille and all was clear. I'm not sure if i could have a thermostat that is getting sticky and not opening consistent or if the water pump might be shot and not moving enough water. It just seems to me that something can't be right as the tractor wasn't working that hard but was almost to the point i needed to stop and let it cool.
Any ideas?

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #2  
something ai'nt right.

was the radiator core.. make sure it is open front to back.

post back

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging
I agree that there is something wrong. One question i just thought of, is the cooling system a standard pressure system? The reason i ask is last summer the radiator seemed low on coolant so i topped it off just like you would a car/truck or whatever and whenever the tractor would come up to temp it would slowly blow coolant out near the top till it went below a certain level and then it stopped. Does this sound right?

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #4  
yep and yep.

it's a pressure system.. fords had pressurized systems back since the later 9 N model. first 9n were non pressurized.

it's also common knowledge that on a non recovery system.. that you can't fill the top tank to the brim.. as the fluid heats and expands, some will blow out till the system meets it's happy point.. then you keep it ther.e on many ford N's.. that leaves you a MOSTLY empty top tank with fluid just covering the core tubes when cold.

continously adding more just means you puke more out each time.

soundguy

I only filled it to the top once and figured that it was normal to push the extra out. The radiator fins are clear so i guess my first step will be changing the thermostat and if that doesn't do the trick i'll swap out the water pump.

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #6  
I'd replace the radiator cap also, while you got the system drained look down in the radiator and make sure the tubes in the core arn't starting to get a little corroded.

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #7  
easy to flow test the wate r pump with thermostat out.

just use a garden hose and a 5g bucket. keep the water from the g-hose keeping the core full, and let the top rad hose aim over into a bucket. with engine running you will see if it is pumping...

soundguy

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #8  
Noticed you said you cleaned the radiator good last year, how about this time ? On my FNL's 8N, just this past weekend we cleaned ours and 90% of what was plugged in there were grass seeds from big blue stem & thistle, you couldn't even see them front or back until we blew out with high pressure AIR. I would say a good pound or so. Couldn't believe how much. All of a sudden we had this nice wind blowing across our legs as we drove and could hear the noise from the fan. Good Luck

/ 961 getting warm while brush hogging #9  
I presume your Ford 961 is a gasoline? If your rpms are running high for a long time with your hogging chores,I would ,also, consider running your carb a little richer for cooling. I would check your oil,too, for any milky traces so you can rule out a head gasket or cracked block. If you can get away with hogging the light stuff at a lower rpm setting,you will ,also, reduce heat naturally produced by the motor. good luck and keep us informed.

Noticed you said you cleaned the radiator good last year, how about this time ? On my FNL's 8N, just this past weekend we cleaned ours and 90% of what was plugged in there were grass seeds from big blue stem & thistle, you couldn't even see them front or back until we blew out with high pressure AIR. I would say a good pound or so. Couldn't believe how much. All of a sudden we had this nice wind blowing across our legs as we drove and could hear the noise from the fan. Good Luck

Yes, i did clean it out again after brush hogging this last time but have not used it again since. There was some dirt/dust that came out but not much and nothing like last time. The way the temp gauge was acting this time it just seemed like it might be a bad thermostat or water pump thats not moving enough water but i still havent had time to really look into it.