FORD 4000 power steering pump

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #1  

PKSHARP

Tractor
FORD 4000 IND
HI folks new member and working on a restoration project Ford 4000 backhoe loader 4cyc gas 1964. Will begin to post pictures when I figure that part of the forum out.

When trying to pull the power steering pump pulley off I cracked it and need to make/ find another but I want to rebuild the unit also. It's the type with a round fluid tank attached to the top and mounts to the right side of the engine. the unit has two powered cylinders.

Question: Is there a equivalent ford car or truck pump I could use to replace it?

Kevin

Attachments

• P7020222-b.jpg
    P7020222-b.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 5,707
   / FORD 4000 power steering pump #2  
you can get non oem aftermarket pumps.. but I see some pricey ones.. like 600$

however.. if restoring it as you say.. i'd stay original.

soundguy

Attachments

• wm_S.61085.jpg
    wm_S.61085.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 572
   / FORD 4000 power steering pump
Thanks for the feedback, I may have used the wrong wording I am upgrading some items, 12V Alt, electronic ignition and electric cooling fan. I have read on some forums that 196X, ford cars used the same pump and was tying to spare the piggy bank more pain. I found a couple of pulleys online but they are asking $60+ bucks for just the pulley. so I ordered a undersized unit and will do some Lathe work on it.

meant to ask for a recommendation on where to get rebuild kit for the original pump shown in my post.
Kevin

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #4  
   / FORD 4000 power steering pump
Thanks, I'll save the money on the fan.

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #6  
especially if trying to save money, the electric fan is a step in the wrong direction ...

soundguy

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #7  
Part # S.60189 from yesterdays tractor co. may be what you need. $650 is cost. If anyone knows how to clean out a power steering system with debris (filter desintegration) for this same tractor, let me know

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #8  
Line flushing is easy, cleaning the Ps block will require disassembly

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #9  
As for the power steering pump itself ,Late 50s to mid sixties Ford cars and later AMC products used the same pump. My 57 model 660 pump was worn out so I went to the junk yard and got one off a 68-69 AMC Ambassador. Just had to put my reservoir, mounting bracket and pressure line fitting on it. The pumps are actually Eaton single pulley separate reservoir pumps. You can still get a kit from NAPA. That's where I got mine.

/ FORD 4000 power steering pump #10  
4 yr old zombie thread.. ;)