8N solenoid issue

/ 8N solenoid issue #1  

driverdbk

just purchased a 1950-52 side mount dist, ford 8n from a friend. had no battery, (still a 6v system), he would jump start with 12v batt, leave the wires dangling and off he went. The tractor would run for an hour or so and quit.

I installed a new 6v battery the tractor started and ran for about 15 mins and quit. At this point there was no reaction at all when the start button was pushed. I tapped the solenoid and got it to turn over, next try nothing again.

I bought a new 6v three post solenoid from Napa, the new solenoid was set up backwards the batt side was switched and there was an S post instead of a I post. I installed with the S post out instead of toward the engine.

The tractor started but would only run with the stock start button held down, as soon as I would let go of the start button the engine would stall. I went to this forum and found out china sometimes makes these solenoids bass ackwards, so instead of messing with it I ordered a new one online that looked the same as the original.

I installed the newest solenoid and the same condition exists, (only runs with the start button held down),. This new solenoid had the I post and looked exactly like the original solenoid so I installed it with the I post towards the engine. The new solenoid was also made in china.

The only other thing I did to the electrical system was replace the 6v coil with 6v coil, I made sure the wires were connected exactly as they were on the original. I also set the points to .0025. with the start button held down the tractor runs smooth when I let go it stalls.

HELP!!!

Last edited:
   / 8N solenoid issue #2  
Ooopps sounds like a job for Soundman, he will be by shortly. He has more old Fords than most others, i believe.

/ 8N solenoid issue #3  
Does your tractor have an on/off switch? Put a meter on the coil and see if you have 6 v to the coil with the switch on. You may have 6 v to the starter and not to the coil. Try using a jumper and feed the coil with 6 v from the batt.

/ 8N solenoid issue #4  
1, incorrect solenoid.

hit a tsc.

also.. you put the power wire tot he dash on the starter side of the solenoid.. not the battery side.

that's the common cause of running only when starter is engaged.

classic misswireing and wrong parts...

soundguy

just purchased a 1950-52 side mount dist, ford 8n from a friend. had no battery, (still a 6v system), he would jump start with 12v batt, leave the wires dangling and off he went. The tractor would run for an hour or so and quit.

I installed a new 6v battery the tractor started and ran for about 15 mins and quit. At this point there was no reaction at all when the start button was pushed. I tapped the solenoid and got it to turn over, next try nothing again.

I bought a new 6v three post solenoid from Napa, the new solenoid was set up backwards the batt side was switched and there was an S post instead of a I post. I installed with the S post out instead of toward the engine.

The tractor started but would only run with the stock start button held down, as soon as I would let go of the start button the engine would stall. I went to this forum and found out china sometimes makes these solenoids bass ackwards, so instead of messing with it I ordered a new one online that looked the same as the original.

I installed the newest solenoid and the same condition exists, (only runs with the start button held down),. This new solenoid had the I post and looked exactly like the original solenoid so I installed it with the I post towards the engine. The new solenoid was also made in china.

The only other thing I did to the electrical system was replace the 6v coil with 6v coil, I made sure the wires were connected exactly as they were on the original. I also set the points to .0025. with the start button held down the tractor runs smooth when I let go it stalls.

HELP!!!

/ 8N solenoid issue
Thanks for the input. Do you have a diagram of the wiring? I am baffled because there is only one way to wire the solenoid, (small red wire to the I post/larger yellow wire to the starter side/battery cable to the battery side), and I did it exactly the way it came off the old solenoid. I tried turning the solenoid around, with the battery connected to the opposite side and starter on the other when I did this there was no power to the starter when I pushed the start button. Sorry but I am not a good electrician, I am however very good with the details and putting things back together the way they came apart. Is there a way to test the solenoid? Or can you lead me to a parts house that will give me the correct part? First solenoid bought at Napa, Second bought online at Yesterdays Tractor Co. Thanks for the help.....bk ps not sure what tsc is.

/ 8N solenoid issue #6  
you just confirmed your problem.

NOTHIN goes ont he starter side except the connection to the starter.. the small yellow wire goes on the BATTERY side.

remember.. the old solenoid was turned around so the small terminal faced the block....

any wires on the starter side only get energized when the solenoid is energized.

that's why it only runs when starting...

like i said/... common problem with wrong aprts and misswireing....

it takes about 4' of wire and a handfull of wire connectors to wire an N...

soundguy

soundguy

/ 8N solenoid issue
Is the connection to the starter the copper L shaped bracket? and confirming that is the only connection on that side. You know I may have just put this error together in my head.

The first solenoid had to go on backwards because the battery post was on the wrong side, so when I connected the red wire first the yellow wire naturally fell on the starter side so that is where I made the connection. In the correct orientation that wire would have fallen on the battery side. when I got the solenoid that goes on in the correct orientation I still hooked the yellow wire to the starter side. That is kind of funny considering I just told everyone how much I pay attention to detail. I guess it is true pride comes before the fall :laughing:. And your statement about misswiring was correct.

I really appreciate the help and great information you are giving me and have given many many others. Thank you so much...bk

/ 8N solenoid issue #8  
yep.. copper buss bar is the only thing that hooks to the starter and stsrter side of the solenoid. anything else there would only get power during starting.

soundguy

/ 8N solenoid issue
Update, After Soundguy helped solve my solenoid problem the tractor starts perfectly!!! :thumbsup:

I did find another issue, sometimes the starter stays engaged until I tap it with a hammer, I suspect a spring or something in the old starter is probably worn.

Any Ideas :confused:

/ 8N solenoid issue #10  
have you decided if it is an electrical problem.. ie.. solenoid stuck, or a mechanical problem.. easy to test by pulling wire to starter.

if it is mechanical, it could be a bad bendix gear, or the teeth on the gear and ring gear are chewed up a bit.

another possibility is that the shaft is dirty or rusty and not letting hte drive spin back out to the end.

the newer follow thru clutch style drives tend to stick engaged more than the old drives which tend to fly out at the least pop of a cyl.

soundguy