Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
I am having trouble with my pto when I engage it for example bushhogging it will disengage on its own. It will stay engage until it get in some high grass unless i raise it up. I don't know if it need adjusting cause the pto handle is touching the the lift which I think is causing it not to go all the way into gear. If this is the problem, how do I adjust it. The tractor is a diesel 3 cylinder. I will try to post a picture to get a better understanding.

I was wondering if I get something to hold the lever in place like a rope or heavy spring will it mess up anything!!

Last edited:
   / Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #2  
sounds like u have a twisted shaft are a sliding collar that is wore out

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #3  
I have the same tractor with the same problem. There is a ball bearing with a spring that holds the PTO level in gear, I tore mine a part years ago and looked at it. I was thinking that hole the ball bearing seats in may be plugged with junk, but have not took it apart yet to look at. I have another tractor for my brush hog. I do have a sickle bar mower on the tractor and it is working fine. Hope this helps some, please post what you have done to fix your problem, if you get it fixed.

Good Luck
Ron:thumbsup:

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #4  
with tractor off, grab the pto stub shaft and see if it has any in / out motion, if it does, the bearing or wear ring may be wore or slipped out due to a broke or slipped out split ring or bearing carrier groove.

if no play, then check that detent. either way get it fixed. if it keeps disengaging it will chew up the splies on the shaft and the dog clutch.

I've fixed dozens of these on ford tractors. very simple to do, if you catch it before the dog clutch gets chewed.

post back what you find.

soundguy

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #5  
ps.. make sure your mower driveshaft moves freely and is not bottoming out. bottomed out shafts are the leading cause of damaged split rings and popped bearing carriers/damaged grooves the split rings ride in.

soundguy

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem
@Soundguy-I hope that I don't mess up anything cause I put a heavy spring on the lever to keep it from disengaging. I used it with the bushhog and it did fine. It didn't disengage but I will still get it fix.

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #7  
it's better to tie it engaged than let it slip out constantly.. the slipping out is what chews up the dog clutch and shaft.

do check for in / out play on the pto shaft.

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem
Soundguy, I check the in/out play on the pto shaft. It is tight with no play. I use it yesterday with bushhog and had heavy spring on it to keep it engage. It keep grinding. I don't know it it was the tough grass but I just stop using it until I can get it fix. Is this a DIY job or shop fix?

/ Fordson Super Dexta PTO Problem #9  
if no in / out play.. I'd be looking at the clutch engqgement