Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #1  

CDN8N

Tractor
Ford 8N
Joined TractorByNet today to keep an eye out for useful tips on refurbishing our newly acquired Ford 8N, serial number 308681.
This will be a three generation project; Grandpa (my father-in-law), me and my son with heavy reliance on Grandpa's mechanical skills.
My own father had one of these and I spent many happy hours during the 60's, cutting and raking hay, barn cleaning and "mechanical muck distributing".
This time round with me in MY sixties this 8N will be heavy on the fun and light on the work. A bit of grass cutting and drawing firewood out of the bush once it's spruced up. :)

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors Forum. :)

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #4  
welcome.

8n's are neat lil tractors, forgiving and easy to work on.

what condition is it currently in? does it run or not run?

we can go from there. PS.. IMHO.. get all the mechanicals in working order before even worrying about cosmetics.

soundguy

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N
Hello Soundguy,

This tractor is in good running condition. No substantial repairs needed. Pretty much just a tidy up. Putting in new plugs and points and a manifold gasket. Cleaning the carb and air cleaner. Replacing one rim - my father-in-law had an exact match in his "odds & ends" pile. Have new gas tank, rad hoses and proofmeter with cable ordered. Rear tires have been replaced not long ago by the look of it. A few small touch ups on the hood and fenders and we'll be ready to paint.
I grabbed this one quick when I found it as it was the best I'd seen in three years of scouting for one!
Lotsa fun.:)

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #6  
:confused3: this thread is useless without pics.... :D

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #7  
Good to hear.

I've always found it is best to start a refurb with an already sound machine.

of course.. it makes for a longer project with more 'stories, when you start with a junker with 1.5 feet int he grave and lots of missing parts that are almost ir-replaceable..

those are usually the fords i drag home....

soundguy

/ Restoring a 1950 Ford 8N #8  
I'm doing the same right now, except mine was in a little worse condition. Picked it up for $300.00 sitting out at some hunting land.