PTO shaft advice

/ PTO shaft advice #1  

CECILSSTEEL

Getting ready to put a 5 ft Covington Rotary Cutter back in service. This cutter was orginally used with Ford 600. PTO shaft is all steel and both end yokes are 6 spline 1-3/8 dia with center holes, one end directly to the overrunning PTO clutch on the Ford and the other end directly to spline gear box shaft on the cutter. The arrangement of the old shaft does not appear to provide shear bolt protection because the gear box uses a splined shaft instead of a round shaft.

I intend to use the Cutter on a JD 990 tractor that requires a quick disconnect PTO coupling ( JD PTO solid shaft is 6 spline 1-3/8 dia).

Any good way to accomplish this with safety in mind?

/ PTO shaft advice #2  
Getting ready to put a 5 ft Covington Rotary Cutter back in service. This cutter was orginally used with Ford 600. PTO shaft is all steel and both end yokes are 6 spline 1-3/8 dia with center holes, one end directly to the overrunning PTO clutch on the Ford and the other end directly to spline gear box shaft on the cutter. The arrangement of the old shaft does not appear to provide shear bolt protection because the gear box uses a splined shaft instead of a round shaft.

I intend to use the Cutter on a JD 990 tractor that requires a quick disconnect PTO coupling ( JD PTO solid shaft is 6 spline 1-3/8 dia).

Any good way to accomplish this with safety in mind?

Add a slip clutch attached to the gear box. You may need to shorten the shaft, and it better than shear bolts IMO.

PTO Slip Clutch, 1-3/8 in. 6 in. Spline Shaft - 0271211 | Tractor Supply Company

/ PTO shaft advice #3  
yep.. any time I see a splined input shaft I usually see a slip clutch, or an inline flange that is shear bolt protected.

soundguy

/ PTO shaft advice
Thanks for the comments, been busy looking for a complete modern series 4 drive line equipped with a slip clutch.