1949 Ford 8N

/ 1949 Ford 8N #11  
yep.. even if it is only a K&N or a crew-cut sock and zip tie.. get something on the carb intake for sure.

the metal tube and rubber fittings for the oil bath air cleaner are readilly available.

soundguy

/ 1949 Ford 8N #12  
yep.. even if it is only a K&N or a crew-cut sock and zip tie.. get something on the carb intake for sure.

the metal tube and rubber fittings for the oil bath air cleaner are readilly available.

soundguy

Yes, I cannot believe that you can improve on the oil bath air cleaner that comes on a Ford 8 n. I had wished it had the small precleaner on the hood. One look into the oil tub and neck of the carb will prove the point. I would like to have an oil-bath on my Kubota, as it doen't have a pre-cleaner either. Dirt ruins the inside of a motor, pretty quickly..

/ 1949 Ford 8N #13  
the precleaners for the N are for sale all over so easy to add.

depending on the setup of your kubota, you might be able to get an aftermarket settling cup.

does your unit have an inner and outter filter? if so, it's breathing ok... can also get that filter spray that adds some tack to the filters to help out.

lastly.. anything that can be built.. can be rebuilt... thus you could add on an oil bath after calculating flow needed.. ;)

soundguy

/ 1949 Ford 8N
Another question, is there a PDF manual for the 8n floating around the interweb? The tractor has no indication of which gear is where which would be nice to know.

There is a bottle lid siliconed to the gear shifter to prevent water from going into the GB which should probably be taken care of shortly, but since it works I don't want to take it off until I know what replaces it.

Kyle

/ 1949 Ford 8N #15  
the gear designations and shifter pattern are MOLDED into the metal trans top cover right at the base of the shifter.....

that inverted flower pot you got on there is probably obscuring it.

since the lil rubber boot is only a couple dollar item.. I'd reccomend getting rid of the 6" lid and putting the rubber boot on, and then you could see the gear designations.

I&T fo-4 service manual is about 30$, owners manual about 12$, master parts catalog, about 20$, repop of the oem service manual ( not as good as the I&T ) is about 10$... available widely online or, the service manual at TSC.. etc.

soundguy

/ 1949 Ford 8N
New question, I was cleaning out the air filter and then it dawned on me, how or where do I put oil in it? and what type of oil do I use?

Kyle

/ 1949 Ford 8N #17  
Welcome to TBN.

How much do you know about these old 8n's?? Are you familiar or a total rookie??

I have a few questions, suggestions, and tid-bits of info for ya....

First, I believe, based on your serial #, that it is a 1950 and NOT a 1949.

It is obviously a old tractor that does need some tractor touch up paint, but for starters I'll tell you what I like about it.

I like the adjustable 3PH arm that you can reach from the seat. This is a pretty desirable feature. It also has draft control, and appears to have decient rubber. Someone has also converted it to 12v.

Now, the things that need attention, that seal, just keep an eye on it. Because the PTO needed to run for the hydraulics to work. So that PTO could have been left on all the time. And if the tractor was used ALOT, 1/3 cup of oil aint bad. But If you do replace it, it is a quick and easy fix.

You also need to hook the air filter back up. You dont want to suck a bunch of dirt into that carb.

Feel free to ask any questions. But I am curious if it has a sherman (another desirable feature). You didnt give us a pic of the tractor from that side. The sherman will have a "dog-leg" lever that is located on the side roughly between the clutch pedal and starter.

And I didnt see if you mentioned, but I assume this tractor does run??

I want to re-iterate how important hooking the air filter back up is. I have made that mistake in the past and cleaning carburetors is not fun. at. all.

/ 1949 Ford 8N #18  
30 wt oil in the oil cup and it has a level mark molded into the side, once you wipe off all the oil and dirt from the outside. Like the top of the transmission, Mine only showed two gears until i kerosened the top cover.?i

/ 1949 Ford 8N #19  
yep.. generically 30wt, or whatever you put in the engine.

in the end.. just about ANY oil would work and be better than nothing if you are low.. even atf, hyd oil.. etc. just regular practice to use the engine oil..

soundguy

/ 1949 Ford 8N #20  
If you are going to brush hog with it you will need an over-run clutch. I bought an over-run with the 1 3/8 shaft and adapted that way.