1959 ford dexta

/ 1959 ford dexta #1  

clancey

Tractor
kubota L4200
Any one have one of these? Am looking at one, mint condition, restored, at a local dealer? Anything I should be looking at in particular? Dont know a whole lot about tractors. Dealer wants $3800 for it.

/ 1959 ford dexta #2  
i'm not sure of your area, but in the south that would be high, unless it really was mint.. northeastern areas tend to have higher tractor prices.

supply and demand can make things go for a bit more.

be advised.. parts will be a tad harder to come by for the fordsons.

as with any piece of equipment.. look for damage, repairs, leaks, wear, test it cold, hot and under load if possible.. drive in all ranges and gears.. test hyds and pto.

if it really is 'restored' and in A-1 condition, it's a good price.

if it's a farm worker with a coat of paint hiding some problems.. it ain't a deal.. not for you anyway.

/ 1959 ford dexta #3  
i have seen two dexta's in the last month sell at auctions both in good shape with great tires one with loader and on with out the one with out the loader brought 600 and the one with a loader and fresh paint brought 1200. 3800 is way to high you can get a good 2000/3000 manual steering for that and have a way better tractor and parts supply

/ 1959 ford dexta
Thanks for the input guys. Was looking at it and it does look truly restored. I live in Atlantic Canada and prices tend to be a little bit higher. Not quite comfortable with that old of a tractor as I intend to work it, mostly box blade and snowblower work. I agree that maybe a ford 2000 or 3000 would be more suited to my needs, from what I hear they are a great tractor. Also looking at a 135 massey and an international 434, both in good shape compareable prices.

/ 1959 ford dexta #5  
if you just want a work tractor.. as wd SAID.. YOU CAN PROBABLY GET A FORD FOR MUCH LESS MONEY, AND SHOULD BE way EASIER TO GET PARTS FOR.

IF YOU WERE JUST LOOKING FOR A COLELCTOR PIECE, THE FRODSON WOULD BE OK.. BUT FOR SOMETHING i RELIED UPON.. i'D WANT CLOSE PARTS.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE AGE.. IT'S NOT THE AGE THAT GETS THEM.. IT'S HOW IT WAS USED AND MAINTAINED.

sorry about the caps.. i type on a netbook, and it's too esy to hit the lock key.

soudnguy

/ 1959 ford dexta
Thanks Soundguy, not looking for a collector piece although I love the old tractors. Ill keep on looking.

/ 1959 ford dexta #7  
I would. if you want something in that power / age / price range... get a ford 8XX.. preferably an 861 with power steering, live hyds and that 2 stage clutch / live pto.

very good 48hp tractor.. smallish.. easy to turn.. etc. can get em as gas or diesel.. lp too I guess.. but I wouldn't..

soundguy