Ford 2N - 1945

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #1  

Cleon Rogers

Tractor
Ford 2N
Hello,

I'm now a tractor guy. My first tractor is a Ford 2N ('45 SN 9N181263). Previous owner was an 82 year old retired mechanic and the tractor starts every time and purrs like a kitten. It had been in his family since the 60s. It came with a 4' bush hog. I've purchased a 5' blade, boom lift, and a 5' box blade. Planning to do some tornado storm cleanup on my three acres and my sisters' 6 or so acres.

Cleon Rogers

My tractor will hold an implement at a height but won't lift anything. It will go up, after it warms up, when nothing attached. It seems to have stronger lift in reverse, because it sometimes will lift the straight blade or boom when going in reverse. Plan to do some basic checks that I've seen on various sites. The fluid level seems ok. Not sure of the fluid type. Haven't checked the pressure relief valve, yet. Recall reading somewhere about cleaning a filter in the tranny, but can't find the article now.

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #5  
Soundguy is the goto guy for Fords. He will be here soon.

/ Ford 2N - 1945
Took the right side cover off today to observe under load. Didn't see any bubbling at the rear. I did see churning in the fluid in front of the pump. When raising the lever the lift jerks slightly like it is trying to go up. Then pushing the lever down, the lift moves down slightly.

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #7  
as said.. no filter in that 5g common sump system.

fluid is either 90wt gl1/3 or 80w90 gl4/5 MT1 yellow metal safe oil, or a UTF fluid meeting the M2C134 spec.

ensure the control fork is moving the control valve all the way in and out and that it is not sticking.

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #8  
as said.. no filter in that 5g common sump system.

fluid is either 90wt gl1/3 or 80w90 gl4/5 MT1 yellow metal safe oil, or a UTF fluid meeting the M2C134 spec.

ensure the control fork is moving the control valve all the way in and out and that it is not sticking.

you will need one

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 248
   / Ford 2N - 1945 #9  
not only should he get the fo-4 service manual, but an owners manual and master parts catalog.

/ Ford 2N - 1945
Thanks. I have those 3 manuals. Out of town for a few days. Will look at the control link next week. There is a lot of sludge in the bottom. I've drained the fluid and will do some sopping before refilling with new spec fluid.

Cleon