Ford 8n rear 3pt lift

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #1  

53GMC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n, Two Massey Ferguson 20 Industrial, Hinomoto
Hello everyone! I am new here at tractorbynet.

I have a 1952 ford 8n with a 6ft howes bush hog. (Yes, I know it is to big but it was dirt cheap :thumbsup:. It weights between 750-850lbs.

My tractor will lift the bush hog about 1 1/2 foot off the ground when cold, but after it warms up it has a hard time lifting the back wheel up in the air.

It also randomly sticks in the up position after it is hot with a Heavy load then will drop back down to where the lever is set to within a couple minutes :confused: It works fine with all my other attachments witch are lighter but it will not lift the front wheels off the ground on flat ground with a boom pole.

The pump makes a slight knocking noise with a hevey load.

The lift arms will leak down without an attachment on them in less than an hour, faster with an attachment.

What should I do to correct this? It is still usable bit is not getting any better.

Thanks,
Philip

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #2  
I am just going to make a logical guess here... When the oil is warm, it is thinner. The thinner oil can more easily bypass the worn pump, valve, cylinder, etc.. Then again, maybe I am full of crap. All my tractors work better when the hydraulic oil is warm.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #3  
Sounds like either a worn valve or worn cylinder. If it was the pump, it wouldnt lift it at all. But once lifted, the pump is out of the equation. The valve and cylinder should hold it there.

The old cylinders used metal rings to seal, and even when new, they would leak down pretty quick. The new ones are rubber o-ring. And if the walls of the cylinder arent scored, and the valve doesnt leak, it should hold the implement for a long time.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift
Thanks for the fast reply. Would you recommend using a o-ring piston or steel ring piston? How hard is it to replace the piston? I need to clean the system out. When I changed the hyd fluid it looked like a milk shake with a lot of sludge in it. Could I clean it out with the top cover off or do I need to pull the pump to clean it?

Thanks,
Philip.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift
I am just going to make a logical guess here... When the oil is warm, it is thinner. The thinner oil can more easily bypass the worn pump, valve, cylinder, etc.. Then again, maybe I am full of crap. All my tractors work better when the hydraulic oil is warm.

Strum,

Before I changed the hyd fluid It did stay up without a load on it, but still went down with a load on it. All I found at tsc for a 8n was universal trans hyd fluid, witch is thener, Maybe I just have a bad lift cylinder piston.

Will lifting somthing heavy wear out or damage the pump or other parts alot faster Such as a 800lb bush hog?

Thanks,
Philip.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #6  
If I remember correctly 800 lbs is close to the 8N's lifting capacity.
Lifting too much weight won't damage anything, it simply won't lift it due to the relief valve opening. Whether to use o-ring or rings in the lift cylinder depends on the condition of the cylinder. If the cylinder is in good condition use o-rings to get a tighter seal. A knocking sound indicates too much clearance in the hydraulic pump, time for a rebuild.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift
My pump only knocks when under a hevey load over 400lb and then it is only a slight knock, should I still plain on needing to rebuild the pump soon?

Thanks,
Philip.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #8  
My pump only knocks when under a hevey load over 400lb and then it is only a slight knock, should I still plain on needing to rebuild the pump soon?

Thanks,
Philip.

I think it still has a lot of life left in it. By the way the pump has brass parts in it and GL-5 fluids are not recommended as they will gradually eat away brass.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift
I think it still has a lot of life left in it. By the way the pump has brass parts in it and GL-5 fluids are not recommended as they will gradually eat away brass.

Is the tsc unerversal trans hydro fluid gl5? And if so are you saying I should Change my hydro fluid to prevent it from eating at the brass? Thanks.

/ Ford 8n rear 3pt lift #10  
If your cylinder is leaking quite a bit and the system has to constantly correct itself, I could see where using such a heavy impliment might be hard on the pump. I would look into atleast fixing the cylinder leak down.