8N still won't rev

/ 8N still won't rev #1  

farmerdean

Tractor
1947 ford 8n
Still won't rev without choke. Fuel flow out of the carb seems good. It's cold here today so I wasn't able to get the wire terminal to come down through the angled boot but I checked plug gap and held a couple of them against the block while cranking, spark seems decent. Spraying WD had no effect. This problem appeared when I changed the ammeter. I saw a brief mention in the owners manual about connections at the terminal block causing problems. The post going into the terminal block where the ammeter wire attaches moves around a little. Wires are tight on the post but the post isn' tight to the block. I replaced the ammeter because it wasn't showing charge when i knew the battery was down. What about the voltage regulator? Seems like too much of a coincidence that this problem occured when I did something to the tractor. I have been known to screw things up once in a while.

/ 8N still won't rev #2  
the vreg has as much to do with spark as the muffler, paint, and oil in the rear end.. and I don't reccmmend checking those either.

if you think you have a loose wire terminall.. hot wire from bat to the coil temporarily, see if it helps...

if plugs aren't balck and choke helps revving.. then it's a fuel issue. a lean one.

either vacume leak at throttle packing/shaft usually.. or a lean mainjet.. assuming, you have a good flow at the bottom of the carb wih plug removed.

soundguy

/ 8N still won't rev #3  
As said above if choking helps, this leads me to believe you have a fuel problem, that's easy to take apart an clean(the carb)also look closely an be sure the tank is clean an there isent crap over the tank/ gas line outlet.Also be sure the gasket is ok at the carb to manifold. if its sucking air anywhere , chocking will help. also check your governor be sure its working .
Army Grunt

/ 8N still won't rev
Problem solved. It is electrical, not fuel. Charged bat and it reved right up. Pulled the gen. Have it tested tomorrow. If that's not it must be the voltage reg. If that doesn't do it I'll test the paint.

/ 8N still won't rev #5  
>>>>>>>>>>I'll test the paint.<<<<<<<<<
Love it.
Army Grunt

/ 8N still won't rev #6  
you can test the get on the tracor with a vom and a piece of wire.

same witht he vreg and a bat charger and a battery.

no need to 'take' them anywhere.

soundguy

/ 8N still won't rev
It is the voltage reg. Thanks to all for your help.

/ 8N still won't rev #8  
Good thing You didn't mess with the carb jet adjustments.:thumbsup:

/ 8N still won't rev #9  
Good thing you checked the vreg even though you were advised not to.

/ 8N still won't rev #10  
to be clear.. the vreg will NOT effect ignition or revving.

it handles charging the battery.

if the battery is weak, you have an electrical problem.. a charged battery vs the discharged battery would have been the test etc...

if you'd care to test this FACT, you can take a pair of wire cuters and cut all the wires off the genny and vreg.

the tractor will start and run, as long as the battery is charged.

soundguy

soundguy