Alternative gear oil

/ Alternative gear oil #11  
5 gallons of synthetic oil would double the value of half the N-series tractors left in the world.
UTF oil will work just fine IF the hydraulic system isn't worn slap out. A yellow-metal safe 80W-90 GL5 oil will work in all but extreme cold.

/ Alternative gear oil #12  
Sound Guy is quite right about the yellow metal safe.

GL1 is what is what is recommended if using gear oil because of all the brass in the pump. It is extremely important to note that EP additives are corrosive to yellow metals such as copper or brass in bushings and synchronizers. GL1 is the class of gear oils that does not* contain any EP additives. Also GL-5 is not necessarily backward compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions designed for a GL-4 oil due to its corrosiveness to yellow metals and also because GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives causing the synchros to not engage as effectively.

Only use a gear oil that is GL1 or a hydrauclic fluid that is compatable, if not you will have more problems than tractor stalling when the clutch is released and its cold.

/ Alternative gear oil #13  
Sound Guy is quite right about the yellow metal safe.

GL1 is what is what is recommended if using gear oil because of all the brass in the pump. It is extremely important to note that EP additives are corrosive to yellow metals such as copper or brass in bushings and synchronizers. GL1 is the class of gear oils that does not* contain any EP additives. Also GL-5 is not necessarily backward compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions designed for a GL-4 oil due to its corrosiveness to yellow metals and also because GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives causing the synchros to not engage as effectively.

Only use a gear oil that is GL1 or a hydrauclic fluid that is compatable, if not you will have more problems than tractor stalling when the clutch is released and its cold.

New Holland (and presumably CaseIH) 80W-90 GL-5 oil is yellow metal safe.

/ Alternative gear oil #14  
if it does not say this I would not use it.

Attachments

• 11-16-09004.jpg
    11-16-09004.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 242
   / Alternative gear oil #16  
I believe it is the MT-1 rating that is the yellow metal safe Identifier. Just about all the gl4/5 oils I've seen that claim to be yellow metal safe are also MT-1

in some areas even walmarts carry a YMS gear oil.. etc..

soundguy

/ Alternative gear oil #17  
I own a 8n and have for years, the transmission and the rear end with the hydraulic pump are the same cavity,with a half separation in between, it takes a oil compatible with the Ford spec. I have found that every year I make sure and check the oil to make sure that it hasn't been contaminated with water. It will look milky if it has oil in it. If the boot on the shift lever is cracked the rain will go in to the transmission. There is two drain plugs because of the half separation and takes 5 gallons to refill. If you over strain the hydraulic pump with either oil to stiff or contaminated oil and ruin the pump I know of no where to get a rebuilt or replacement pump. it is a piston type pump and the heads will blow out, I got suitable oil from the local parts store. Make sure to ask for Ford transmission/hydraulic oil.

Mahindra 6000
Ford 8N

/ Alternative gear oil #18  
Well.. some of that was correct anyway. ;)

Water in the oil will make an emulsion, and make it milky. you actually WANT oil in the oil :)

there are 3 drain plugs.. 2 bung style, and one pipe plug. plug is under the diffy, one bung under pump.. one onder trans.

it's a scotch yoke style pump and made to pump gear oil.. I suspect even 85/140 would be fine.. it's a multi vis vs a straight 90.. in either case.. I'd run a gl1 /3 or gl4/5 YMS, or a utf fluid meeting M2c134 spec.

parts and rebuild pieces as well as pump chambers are READILY available, as are salvage pumps.

soundguy

/ Alternative gear oil #19  
Ok I will go and erase my post if I can figure out how.

/ Alternative gear oil #20  
no need to do so... just beating it into shape :)