Alternative gear oil

/ Alternative gear oil #1  

weldermike

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L4400
My dad has a 8n, and just did a complete motor rebuild. Its running like a top, but he has other tractors, and rareley used this one through out winter. Only problem is when he starts it up in the cold the gear oil in the tranny is so thick he cant let the clutch out in neutral, the fluid is so thick it wants to stall the machine out. So my question is, do they make an alternative gear oil that he could use to solve this problem with the cold temps. Thanks in advance guys!

/ Alternative gear oil #2  
My dad has a 8n, and just did a complete motor rebuild. Its running like a top, but he has other tractors, and rareley used this one through out winter. Only problem is when he starts it up in the cold the gear oil in the tranny is so thick he cant let the clutch out in neutral, the fluid is so thick it wants to stall the machine out. So my question is, do they make an alternative gear oil that he could use to solve this problem with the cold temps. Thanks in advance guys!

He could switch it to a synthetic

/ Alternative gear oil #3  
if in a constantly cold area, use a UTF in the trans/rear/hyd common sump.

soundguy

/ Alternative gear oil
Mace Canute said:
Curious...do you know what weight of gear oil he used?

Regular 90w.

/ Alternative gear oil #6  
From Engine & Gear Oil - Temperature and Viscosity Limits

gearoil.jpg

90 weight oil is intended for much higher temperatures, 60F and above. You need something more like an 80W-90 or an 80W oil.

/ Alternative gear oil
Sounds good, thanks mace! Ill relay message to dad.

/ Alternative gear oil #10  
remember.. back in the old days..90 is what they had.

nowadays.. got more choices.

IMHO.. I'd go for a utf, than some super expensive syn gear oil.

if I did go with another gear oil.. I'd go with one that was yellow metal safe..

soundguy