1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #1  

fowler6416

Tractor
1963 ford 4000
I have a 63 ford 4000, 5 speed , 4 cylinder. The PTO will not engage, it just grinds and the hydraulics have stopped working. Does this sound like the hyraulic pump has gone out, I changed the hydraulic fluid but it didn't help.
Does anyone have any ideas..........

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #2  
I have a 63 ford 4000, 5 speed , 4 cylinder. The PTO will not engage, it just grinds and the hydraulics have stopped working. Does this sound like the hyraulic pump has gone out, I changed the hydraulic fluid but it didn't help.
Does anyone have any ideas..........

if it is a 4000 the pto clutch probably needs to be adjusted because if a true 4000 5 speed it will have a 2 stage clutch (try adjusting the clutch and see if that helps)

also try not to post in to forms because it makes it hard for people to keep track and help you

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #3  
yep.. as said. if the tranny is from a 4000 5spd it is a dual clutch.. otherwise if it is a swap from an 851, it will fit up, but single clutch.

will the pto shift in when the tractor is off?

any pto play? in / out?

hyd pump has no relation to the pto.. try bleeding the pump by pulling the plug in the top front of it.... run engine over till oil bubbles out..

post back

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #4  
if it is a 4000 the pto clutch probably needs to be adjusted because if a true 4000 5 speed it will have a 2 stage clutch (try adjusting the clutch and see if that helps)

also try not to post in to forms because it makes it hard for people to keep track and help you

My guess is he didnt believe us the last time we told him what to check, so he made a new post hoping someone else would tell him that the hydraulic pump is causing the pto not to work :confused:

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #5  
yup ... :(

considering it's a fully mechanical pto.. changing the hyd fluid is of course the first thing i would have done to check the pto :) NOT! ;)

shopping answers...

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #6  
My guess is he didnt believe us the last time we told him what to check, so he made a new post hoping someone else would tell him that the hydraulic pump is causing the pto not to work :confused:

yea i believe he has been told every kind of problem he could be having and just dont like what he hears

/ 1963 ford 4000 PTO wont engage #7  
i see it in other forums all the time. answer shopping. keep trolling till you get someone to tell you that everything's fine and you are imagining it, and an easy / cheap fix. :(