another 8n that wont start.

/ another 8n that wont start. #21  
My 8N was not running. I had no spark to points??? the hot stud on distributer was broken on the inside(copper strip) from stud to points-replaced w/ small copper tab & walla--she runs like a charm--hoping that might help.
The starter spins....I am assuming you mean it is spinning the motor over??

Verify they ARE in the correct order mentioned in the previous post:thumbsup:

Was the old battery 6v and positive ground? Does it have an enclosed generator, or a newer style aluminum-housed alternator?

This may help on your carb overhaul Yesterday's Tractors - Step by Step Carburetor Overhaul - 1952 Ford 8N

Fuel to carb is good. But it has to get from there to the engine in the right amount. Make sure the pilot jet and main passage way is clear. At the end of the article is some good tips for tuning.

And as another poster mentioned...are the plugs wet with fuel?? indicating that you are at least getting gas to the engine?

That shouldnt hurt anything, just allow it to "choke" a little better and suck up more fuel. Possibly indicating this tractor is close to needing an overhaul and has been getting hard to start???? once running though, that penny doesnt hurt a thing. Its kinda like the old trick with small motors and holding your hand over the carb to give a little more "choke"

Thats normal. The starter works without the key, and will crank and deliver fuel without the key, but the key feeds the coil to give it the spark. If you try starting without the key on, all you will do is flood it.

Verify all of the above. IF you are getting fuel in the right amount to the engine, and sparking at the right time, the only other thing it could be is lack of compression.

So, one you verify the carb is good after the rebuild, make sure you are getting spark to the plugs, NOT just the wires. You could have flooded it causing no spark at the plugs, or fouled the plugs.

If all that is okay, I think a compression test is in order:thumbsup:

/ another 8n that wont start. #22  
My 8N was not running. I had no spark to points??? the hot stud on distributer was broken on the inside(copper strip) from stud to points-replaced w/ small copper tab & walla--she runs like a charm--hoping that might help.

in the very first post, adj100 identifies that he has a front mount distribuitor. this info that you provide is limited to later side mount distribuitors and thus does not apply to the front mount.

soundguy

/ another 8n that wont start. #23  
in the very first post, adj100 identifies that he has a front mount distribuitor. this info that you provide is limited to later side mount distribuitors and thus does not apply to the front mount.

soundguy

Gottcha, missed that. sorry.Plus if he is getting spark to plugs it would all be moot

/ another 8n that wont start. #24  
just trying to keep it all straight for the OP so he can get it sorted out. which.. hopefully..? perhaps? he has?

/ another 8n that wont start. #25  
Ahh yes, the old hopefully, perhaps:) Me???? I'm hopefully, perhaps going to get this old bush hog going this week-end. Got the ORC put on & will rig some kind of floating wheel for rear. Thanx for that reminder. Have a Good Easter all,& remember what it's all about.

/ another 8n that wont start.
stripped the parts from the carb, soaked it over night in carb cleaner and replaced everything in it other then the choke assembly, I will be headed up to the inlaws tomorrow to install and try it out

another fail today, must have overtightened the mixutre needle because the tip broke off and is stuck... arggg, no luck getting it out so far.

/ another 8n that wont start. #29  
Unfortunatly, I think you'll have to pull the carb apart & get at it internally. Patience my friend. :)

oh yes, pulled it apart and the need tip was broken off with about 1/8 visible down in the bottom, could not pull or pry it out, ended up carefully drilling it out.

still probably destroyed the **** thing, 200 bucks down the drain I have a bad feeling (50 rebuild and now I have a feeling I need a 150 repalcement carb)

we shall see