8n High Altitude Effects Question

/ 8n High Altitude Effects Question #1  

smooth2001

Tractor
Ford 8n
Hello. New forum member appreciating all the good information here.

I would like to bring my 8n to Colorado this summer to do some clearing on my property and was wondering if I should expect any altitude related issues with it at 9,200 ft., such as starving for air, or needing to rejet carburetor, etc. Purs like a kitten down here in the flat lands.

Thanks.

/ 8n High Altitude Effects Question #2  
Welcome to TBN

I would expect a noticable decrease in perfomance with your tractor. Air density decreases with altitude so your tractor will be running rich at all times and you will probably see some black smoke coming fron the exhaust.
I can't comment about the specifics of your tractor's carburetor, but there may be a way to put a smaller jet into it. That would give the proper air/fuel mixture and eliminate the black smoke but your horsepower wil still be a little bit less that it is at sea level.

/ 8n High Altitude Effects Question #3  
I have similar concerns; my place in Colorado is at about 8500 feet. I just got my M59 recently so haven't had it on the place yet (don't live there yet, the tractor is needed to develop it). My hope however is that it won't be a big deal as my tractor has a turbocharger. Getting a turbodiesel was one of the things I was looking for due to the altitude issue. My truck also has a turbo and it shows no noticeable loss of power on the CO passes.

/ 8n High Altitude Effects Question #4  
8n with a MS carb has an adjustable main and idle.

main is the large downpointing fuel needle. idle is the side pointing air neele. idle/air is in to enrich. main/fule is in to lean.

soundguy