Ford 641 project

/ Ford 641 project #1  

8NLUGNUT

Silver Member
Tractor
Several Fords, four Japanese tractors
I bought a 641 last week that was kinda running. Kinda. The sheet metal was off and it actually ran a little. A little.

This one is going to be fun and I should be done and have it running just in time to start shreading now that we are out from under the drought.

It had a Zenith carb on it that was full of sediment from the rusty tank and the float was stuck open on it.

So far I've cleaned out the tank as best as I can, rebuilt the carb, and put a sediment bowl inline.

So now I have a few questions.

1. What are the proper adjustments for the Zenith?

2. It has 216 plugs in it. Are those the appropriate plugs for it? Will it run the 437's like the 8n any better?

3. Someone disconnected the starter safety switch and put a car ignition switch in it. Anything I need to know about the 641 or is it the same as the 8N? Looks pretty basic.

4. The sheet metal pieces look like they were spot welded originally. I'm thinking I might do that but also run bolts like my 8N's. Were they spot welded or some type of rivet?

Attachments

• P4111231.jpg
    P4111231.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 627
  • P4111230.jpg
    P4111230.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 410
  • P4111232.jpg
    P4111232.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 372
   / Ford 641 project
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrytPwwqZWo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrytPwwqZWo[/ame]

Today I drained the water out of the carb(shouldn't have to do that too many more times) and sediment bowl and cleaned and regapped the plugs.

The plugs were all over 25 with one of them around 40.

As soon as I hit the starter the 641 fired right up. I was very happy to see that.

I ran it for about 30 minutes and found that there is engine oil dripping from under the shifter area on the tractor. At first I thought it might be water from rain going around and through the rotted shifter boot but I was able to determine that it was engine oil. More work.

I also could not get the lift to come up. That's odd because when we bought the tractor it tested good with two people on it. It was in the up position for the last week. When I put it down to check it today it did not come up. I checked the draft position but that made no difference. The PTO works. Hummm?

/ Ford 641 project #3  
437 plugs work fine.

i'd hook the interlock safety start switch up. same setup as an 8n. in fact.. a 640 is like an updated naa.. which is kinda like an 8n side mount.. 4spd non live pto.. 640 has live hyds though.

if no lift.. bleed the pump.. check fluid too.

leak under the tractor if crank oil is fromt he rear main seal. if she sat along time it may have got hard. might soften up with a lil panther juice.. for now.. but will eventually need real fixin if it leaks bad..

/ Ford 641 project
Panther juice?

/ Ford 641 project #5  
you know.. like snake oil

/ Ford 641 project
Well it was an oily day but it wasn't snake oil.

The water/oil leak for now is gone. It was coming from the transmission inspection hole cover. We'll drive it around Sunday and see if it's really gone but I think it was years of condensation or rain water that had worked it's way in.

We drained and replaced all the oil in the tractor. Everything was contaminated with water. Lots of water. Except the engine.

The lift is now working again.

If everything we did today sticks then it will be time to move on to wiring and sheet metal. Then go shredding.

I'm tired. I need some BBQ.

/ Ford 641 project #7  
that weep hole is there to drain out leaked oil from a rear main or tranny input shaft. if trans is overfull from water intrusion, and you drained and refileld to proper level.. no doubt it quit statically leaking.

time will tell about the health of the seal. again. sometimes a 'high milage' oil conditioner will temporarilly help by sofetening hard seals. .. if the seal is really damaged though.. no panther oil will help it.

/ Ford 641 project
I looked at a friends Jubilee yesterday and it looked like he had a regular oil filter screwed in wher the original went. Is that an after market kit?

I Forgot to add that we put a nice new steering wheel on today. Better than the electrical taped original that had chunks falling off.

/ Ford 641 project #9  
while later engines took a spin on filter natively, however the earlier engines that had a canister had a spin on kit that takes oly minutes to install.. just an adapter plate, threaded nipple and gasket arangement...

soundguy

/ Ford 641 project #10  
remember to service that steering box while you are messing with steering.. and put some neverseize ont he splines and threads.. the next guy to take the steering wheel off ( might be you ) will appreciate it...