Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model)

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model)
I'm not sure if the PTO on the tractor in my last post has live PTO or not. He emailed this picture to me - I haven't checked it out in person. I'm just going by what he has told me. Of course, it just says 801 on the side of his tractor, but the transmission box looks different than mine.
He had a hard time explaining the transmission to me. He said you either pulled up on the gear shift or something to that effect, it would then change range.

...And I noticed the fenders were a little different too. Ford was raised in raised letters on them.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #13  
That looks like an 861 to me. It is a 5 speed. Hi / low range was not an option.

The transmission has 3 levels

On the top 3rd is forward and reverse is back

in the middle 1st is back and 2nd is forward

on the bottom 4th is forward and 5th is back

Thats it, 5 gears.

It is probably live pto. If it is the clutch will sit higher than the clutch on your 841. As you push it down, at about 2/3 of the way, you will feel the second stage. The last 1/3 of clutch travel stops the pto.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #14  
Oh, on another note - my friend has a very similar tractor to mine, except his has a 5 speed transmission with a high & low range - 10 gears? His grandfather gave it to him, he doesn't really care anything about it. It smokes like crazy, but they have used it for shredding etc... I know he would sell it to me, any idea exactly what this tractor might be exactly? How much it might be worth?
Here's a photo.

no such ford with a 5 speed with a high and low range.

there is a 10spd SOS tranny that is a full powershift.

otherwise the 2 5 speeds are either a live pto / dual clutch, and a non live pto version.

the 4 speed models could have a high / low.

later in 65+ they hit twin stick trannies that had 6 and 8 speeds.

did his '10 speed ' have a shifter handle on the tin under the steering wheel, or a more standard gear shifter on top of the tranny? if on the tranny.. it was a 4/5 speed...

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #15  
If you look carefully at his picture, you can see a little of the gearshift. From what I could see, it looked like a 5 speed shifter.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #16  
not sure where the guy thought he had 10 speeds then, as there are no pre trannies for the 5 speeds...

I should correct myself, he said it was a four speed - I thought he had the same set up that I had. He emailed me this photo. I am sure he said that he pulled up on the stick to change the range.

He lives about 30 miles away & I haven't been to over to check it out in person. But, the tractor looks to be in pretty decent shape - I noticed it just said 801, instead of the specific model. I emailed him last night for more info., but haven't heard back yet.

That looks like an 861 to me. It is a 5 speed. Hi / low range was not an option.

The transmission has 3 levels

On the top 3rd is forward and reverse is back

in the middle 1st is back and 2nd is forward

on the bottom 4th is forward and 5th is back

Thats it, 5 gears.

It is probably live pto. If it is the clutch will sit higher than the clutch on your 841. As you push it down, at about 2/3 of the way, you will feel the second stage. The last 1/3 of clutch travel stops the pto.
I need to correct myself on the transmission. It is a four speed, but the stick does look different from mine, now that you point it out.

I just looked the photo over again & it has a round plate bolted on the right behind the drag link. My tractor doesn't have that.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #20  
I need to correct myself on the transmission. It is a four speed, but the stick does look different from mine, now that you point it out.

ONLY the 5 speeds pull up / push down. the 4 speed is the 'H' like a standard shifter in a truck essentially.

not sure what 'round plate' you are refering to??