1953 jubilee

/ 1953 jubilee #1  

sam5570

Veteran Member
Tractor
new holland tn70
a friend of mine is looking at a 53 jubilee he says everything looks ok and it sounds ok i no nothing about themis there any special things to look for and what do these tractors sellfor on average body looks good needs paint but not been abused:confused:

/ 1953 jubilee #2  
1800-2500 tires and shape depending.

make sure she has brakes, clutch works and 3pt works... especially when warm.

hyds setup on the naa was only used for 2ys.. the 00 series obsoleted all the hyd parts on the naa pretty much.

a cylindrical pump is a plus.. and old square vane pump is kinda a minus.

otherwise.. all the usual stuff you look for.. make sure she shifts and don't jump out of gear going down hill. starts good.. charges.. takes throttle good. no oil in water.. no water in oil.. etc.

she's got a 134ci gas engine / red tiger ohv.. etc.. about 32 pto hp or so.

decent lil tractor.. I have the more rare 54 naa.. :)

/ 1953 jubilee
thanks soundguy for info like i said i know nothing about these tractors just a little before my time don't remember anyone around here having 1 the old 8n and massy 30 and stuff like that i know a little about again thanks for your help

/ 1953 jubilee #4  
keep asking.. someone here will answer. there are quite a few of us with old ford experience... someone will be here to help.

rickb, whodat, jim.. me.. etc.. ( many others.. ).. jerry.. etc.. and the other jerry ( ultradog.. :) )

/ 1953 jubilee #5  
On the subject of brakes, how do you know if the brakes are decent if you are buying? For example, my 1953 Jubilee stops on the flat ok, and for this reason, I assumed the brakes were ok when I got it. But, the brakes won't stop it on even a modest hill. I'm assuming the brakes need work, but are mechanical brakes that good anyway for going downhill? What should be expected for decent brakes on a tractor of this vintage and design?

/ 1953 jubilee #6  
On the subject of brakes, how do you know if the brakes are decent if you are buying? For example, my 1953 Jubilee stops on the flat ok, and for this reason, I assumed the brakes were ok when I got it. But, the brakes won't stop it on even a modest hill. I'm assuming the brakes need work, but are mechanical brakes that good anyway for going downhill? What should be expected for decent brakes on a tractor of this vintage and design?

the brakes should hold the tractor on a slop how i check the breaks is push one down at a time and see if it will turn the tractor then push both brakes down and let the clutch out in low gear and see if the tractor stalls down some or pulls through them easily

/ 1953 jubilee #7  
yep.. good brakes will lock a wheel, and seriusly bog the engine with them locked and clutch out as WD said.

have you adjusted yours? they use simple star adjusters.... plan old drum brakes..

/ 1953 jubilee #8  
Wonderful old tractors. I had a '54 till a couple of years ago, my very first tractor. Two things come to mind. It doesn't have a "creeper" gear so something like tilling would be a problem and watch out for crud in the fuel tank. It's a gravity feed system and I had more problems with clogged fuel lines,jets,etc. than everything else combined. In fact, the reason I got rid of it and bought a new one was because it died(again) while I was mowing and I walked into the house FURIOUS and vowing to go get a new one. My son happened to be standing there and,well...

/ 1953 jubilee #9  
yep.. gotta keep the 3 screens in place and clean in the fuel system...

/ 1953 jubilee #10  
I have not adjusted them, mainly since they seemed to work ok, but the conditions admittedly were ideal. Obviously, I need to do that. I may just go ahead and rebuild them while I'm at it, just to be completely safe. I've rebuilt everything else to get this old tractor running; what's one other thing, right? Hydraulics are a little sketchy, too; they are probably next.