New here w/ Ford 861

/ New here w/ Ford 861
The engine in this beast was rebuilt with an exchanged block due to a thrown rod. Where is the engine number? I'd kind of like to know what year that block is and any other strange parts that were exchanged.

Thanks to all, for sharing your vast knowledge.

/ New here w/ Ford 861 #12  
you can check trhe raised casting numbers to see what 'range' the block came from. post them..

look for a 6015# with a prefix.. etc..

though could have a long number starting with a 3 as well.. :)

/ New here w/ Ford 861
Here's what I found: EAF - 6015 . J

At least that's what it looks like, it's pretty rough.

Thanks soundguy for all that loader info---I think I'll pass on it---he wants $375.00...

/ New here w/ Ford 861 #14  
375$ for a trip loader and no brackets.. probably wrong style loader anyway?? EGADS... deffinately run away.. that's a 75$ loader.. 150$ if you like the guy and he looks hungry and you are dating his wife behind his back ;)

EAF 6015 - 172 1953-1957

/ New here w/ Ford 861
150$ if you like the guy and he looks hungry and you are dating his wife behind his back ;)

Hilarious!

I'm glad it's the correct block. Next up: a charging issue and a hydraulic lift problem. Waiting for the book...

/ New here w/ Ford 861 #16  
post on the charge issue. I like ford electrics. EZ to work on...

post on the lift issue as well.. 00/01 seres top covers are generally tough.. though the unloaders get sticky.. as for the pumps.. shaft seals are a usual cause of loss of prime, if it's not the plumbing orings..

/ New here w/ Ford 861
Will do. I think the 6v generator might need new brushes---it's not showing any rise at the battery and at the gen. it reads 5v dc across connections---without a book I'm clueless. I don't know what the connections are or where to measure etc.

The lift issue is that it lifts at the very top of the sector only---seems to go up okay then, and then it has to be pushed down by hand---no movement at all going down with the lever.

/ New here w/ Ford 861 #18  
Will do. I think the 6v generator might need new brushes---it's not showing any rise at the battery and at the gen. it reads 5v dc across connections---without a book I'm clueless. I don't know what the connections are or where to measure etc.

The lift issue is that it lifts at the very top of the sector only---seems to go up okay then, and then it has to be pushed down by hand---no movement at all going down with the lever.

gravity is all that pushes the lift down hook it up to something and see if it will go down

/ New here w/ Ford 861 #19  
cam folower pin is likely worn and / or the lift cover linkage needs adjustment.. that is the probable lifting at only the top of the quadrant issue. 13$ top cover kit and a 2$ dowel and about 4 hours MAX time to rehab the top cover... less time if the 3pt linkages come apart easilly.

as WD said.. gravity down only.. thus if the rockshaft bushings have any crud in their bores.. they may stick up unless helped down by weight.. as long s it goes down with hand pressur eor a light inplement.. it's good to go.

on the genny.. don't assume brushes.. cuz if the vreg is bad.. the genny won't make any go juice!!

big connection is armature.. small connection is field.

motor test it.

engine off.

slip belt off genny

jump bat hot to armature and field with their wires pulled from the genny. if the genny spinds.. she will probably charge.

that lil test also poalrized her, in case for some odd reason she wasn't.

now.. if she don't spin.. take her and the vreg to a rebuilder.

if she does spin, hook back up and start her up.. if no charge at the bat, full field her by jumping bat hot to the field spade for a sec.. if charge comes up.. vreg needs attention, as field ckt is open.

if still nada, jump bat hot to armature.. .. if that makes her charge, vreg needs attention as cutout is open.

if neither help, but she did spin, jump bat hot to arm and field.. if that makes charge, then vreg field and cutout ckts are open.

soundguy

/ New here w/ Ford 861
cam folower pin is likely worn and / or the lift cover linkage needs adjustment.. that is the probable lifting at only the top of the quadrant issue. 13$ top cover kit and a 2$ dowel and about 4 hours MAX time to rehab the top cover... less time if the 3pt linkages come apart easilly.

as WD said.. gravity down only.. thus if the rockshaft bushings have any crud in their bores.. they may stick up unless helped down by weight.. as long s it goes down with hand pressur eor a light inplement.. it's good to go.

on the genny.. don't assume brushes.. cuz if the vreg is bad.. the genny won't make any go juice!!

big connection is armature.. small connection is field.

motor test it.

engine off.

slip belt off genny

jump bat hot to armature and field with their wires pulled from the genny. if the genny spinds.. she will probably charge.

that lil test also poalrized her, in case for some odd reason she wasn't.

now.. if she don't spin.. take her and the vreg to a rebuilder.

if she does spin, hook back up and start her up.. if no charge at the bat, full field her by jumping bat hot to the field spade for a sec.. if charge comes up.. vreg needs attention, as field ckt is open.

if still nada, jump bat hot to armature.. .. if that makes her charge, vreg needs attention as cutout is open.

if neither help, but she did spin, jump bat hot to arm and field.. if that makes charge, then vreg field and cutout ckts are open.

soundguy

Okay. A quick check shows me it has two smaller connections on the side and one larger on the end. Which small is the field? Also, with a positive ground, is the Neg. hot to the armiture, and Pos. to field for the battery jump? I won't have time to do this for a couple days, but I'll post back and let you know results.

Much Thanks!