Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights #1  

jeff pk

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 Ford 641 1957 Ford 860
I've looked far and wide and can't seem to find the right diagram. Found 6v no lights, and 12v lights, but no 6v lights. I'm changing the wire harness and am confused about running the light curcuit and the terminal block and the key switch wiring. Thanks for any info...

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights #2  
wireing on that tractor amount to about 10' or wire and a handfull of connectors.

here's what you need.. you can wire this point to pint and not waste money on a harness.

from genny armature to arm/gen tab on vreg

from genny field to field tab on vreg

ground post on genny to ground tab or under metal mount point so genny, vreg and chssis are all common.

vreg bat tab to one side of 2 post ammeter.

other side of 2 post ammeter to hot side of start solenoid.

start solenoid hot side fed by battery cable.. other side of solenoid to starter.

depending on what solenoid you have, and if it's oem and if using the thrumb switch, you could have any of 3 different solenoids... commonly you will use the thumb switch with a small wire to the small post on the solenoid.

now, add a wire from the side of the 2 post ammeter where the bat tab from the vreg hits.. this wire goes to one side of the key switch.. other side of the key switch goes to one side of the primary of the coilother primary side goes to the side of the distribuitor at the insulated bushing.

that's all you need to make her start and charge and run.

if you add lamps, add another wire to the same side of the ammeter where the key and bat tab are hooked. run that to a lamp switch that is fused..from there run a wire forward to feed the headlamps, and a wire rear for a tail lamp if you use one / have a 2/3 position switch.

14awg wire will be sufficient for all this, except: the wire from armature to vreg, and from vreg bat tab to ammeter should be 2 strands of aw14 or do with a single of 8.

at the lamps, i reccomend running a ground wire from the grounding / mounting base of the lamp to a good clean spot on the chassis, or if nothing else, back to a conenctor added at the bat cable cable using a ring terminal on a terminal bolt..

if ammeter reads backwards.. swap wires side to side.

remember this was 6v positive ground using a generator.. meaning positive when to chassis.. and negative went to solenoid.

soundguy

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights
Soundguy,

Already wasted my money on a harness. Your discription helps though. I noticed you did'nt metion the terminal block---is it superfluous? I have it mostly wired up just following the old wires, but the PO had wires going to only one side of the terminal block. What is the purpose of that block?
Thanks

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights #4  
yep.. just a convienient location to wire to.... the ammeter is too.. IMHO.

back in the day, ammeter were inductive loop style, so a wire just passed thru the loop, and thus they had to have a wire terminal. also.. with a wire terminal block.. you can get 1-2 posters.. and give you more space for more 'circuits'.. etc.. but with a 2 post ammeter in place.. it's just less wireing, less connectors.. less resistance.. less clutter.. etc.. etc..

soundguy

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights
Okay, got it started. One more question. Is the 12v light system the same as a 6v curcuit. I need to follow a diagram or it just doesn't sink in to my brain---can I just follow a 12v diagram for the lighting?

Much thanks Soundguy---feels great to start it up. Now I just have make sure it's charging properly...

/ Need a 860 6v wiring diagram with lights #6  
assuming it is an incandescent lamp.. it's just a hot filament.. buy the right voltage blbs and follow whatever diagram you want. incandescent bulbs are not polarity sensitive.

about the only difference is that for a given wattage, you can use SMALLER wire on 12v than 6v, due to the amperage reduction...