1956 ford

/ 1956 ford #1  

canadianfarmboy

Tractor
ford
new member i have a 1956 ford 8N i believe switched from generator to alternator (purchased this way) with hydraulic bucket on the front 4 speed transmissions been loosing power when sitting when running runs fine but bogs out and dies in 4th gear on road driving recently cleaned the carb and unstuck float no problems there wiring seems to be fine and battery should be more then charged as jus drove from one property to another bout a 45 minute drive any suggestions on what the potential problem could be about the transmission not like 4th gear or reasoning for loss of power. also if anyone one has a pdf file for a manual or can suggest where to find one much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG-20120129-00245 (1).jpg
    IMG-20120129-00245 (1).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 199
   / 1956 ford #2  
last year of production was mid 1952

lack of power in high gear can be flooding ( stumbling gurgling ), lean (popcorn sounds and hesitation ).. or weak spark.

if spark is good and you think carb is clean.. enrich main jet by 1/8 turn at a time and test her.

lastly.. if she is getitng tired.. a compression check may be needed. many people converted tired tractors to 12v to get ones with lower compression to start easier.

ford spec is 90 psi minimum.. but you can still get some work out of them if all are 80.. if inteh 70's she could be getting real weak.

ont he comp test.. do it on warmed enigne, key of, gas off, throttle open all the way. dry, then wet test.. at least 5 puffs per hole.. though I usually roll it over till the gauge stops climbing just to see the top number. make note of what the first puff gives you.. hopefully is 80% of the reading..

if wet numbers are higher than dry... then may need rings.. if wet and dry are low.. could be valves.. etc..

post back

/ 1956 ford #3  
ps.. check condition of spark plugs, gap, and all ignition components. gap plugs to .025

points on a fornt mount to .015 sidemout to .025

/ 1956 ford
does sound like it could be a compression problem sparks do look like they could be switched out just for safetys sake any recomindation on the best sparks to use for peak performance? as of now havent been able to check compression but will keep you posted on that situation as it does have the sputtery popcorn sound

/ 1956 ford #5  
Spark plugs are autolite 437

Ford Model 8N Tractor Parts

Wecome to the forum.

Best book is: 8N IT After Market Shop Repair Manual 152 Pages (Part No: FO-4)

Last edited:
   / 1956 ford #6  
yep.. I like al 437.. though the champion H12 ( 512 ) will work in a pinch.. seem to foul out easier though.. etc..