9n questions.....Soundguy???? or others

/ 9n questions.....Soundguy???? or others #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Looked at a 9n for sale yesterday. Dont really need one but the price was right. It was on my way home from work, so I had no way yo buy it or move it, but if it is still avaliable (unlikely @ his price) I may get today.

Anyway, on to the tractor and questions. It is a 9n with an earler 8n motor (front dist). Minor oil drip out of rear main seal. I noticed it had smooth rear axles. I think I read somewhere that these were pretty rare and desirable??? Anyone confirm???

Also noticed it had a cast dash. Not sure if it was cast ALU, or cast iron. Doesnt really matter becasue it was busted up pretty good. He said vandals did that as well as knocked the headlights off. Anyway, whats the deal with the cast dash? Did all 9n's have that??? Or (was) this a rare peice before it was busted up.

Last question, this has the sherman step-up. All I can find is descriptions of it, but no speed charts. Mainly curious as to how fast the road gear is on this in 3H. I know the 4-speed 8n w/sherman step-up step-down gives it ~23. Is this that fast??

Tractor was in pretty good condition overall and looks well taken care of with just a few minor things needed. I am probabally a fool for not going back and getting it last night, but I work 6A-6P and drive an hour each way. So going back to get it last night with the trailer would have not been good for getting any sleep last night. Guy is asking under $1200

/ 9n questions.....Soundguy???? or others #2  
that's ok money if it runs good.

the smooth axle refers to the hub itself, ie.. standing to the side of the tractor, look at the center of the rear tire.. if the hub is smooth.. that's the older more rare one.. if it has a 6" or so circle with round head rivits.. that's the repalcement design.

the previous is more rare as they broke more often due to casting voids and inclusions.. :)

cast aluminum dash is older / more rare.. might be fixable with aluminum welding..e tc.

if hood was cast aluminup as well as steering column top and side cover inspection ports on center section.. now it would be a real early piece.

8n engine is abit of an upgrade over the 9n due to slight compression increase.. otherwise essentially same front mount style setup..

most have a rear main or input shaft seal leak.. it's why ford put a bellhousing weep hole in.. ;)

without my manuals with me I couldn't speculat at speed.. but i would suspect above 10 and below 20....

/ 9n questions.....Soundguy???? or others
that's ok money if it runs good.

the smooth axle refers to the hub itself, ie.. standing to the side of the tractor, look at the center of the rear tire.. if the hub is smooth.. that's the older more rare one.. if it has a 6" or so circle with round head rivits.. that's the repalcement design.

the previous is more rare as they broke more often due to casting voids and inclusions.. :)

cast aluminum dash is older / more rare.. might be fixable with aluminum welding..e tc.

if hood was cast aluminup as well as steering column top and side cover inspection ports on center section.. now it would be a real early piece.

8n engine is abit of an upgrade over the 9n due to slight compression increase.. otherwise essentially same front mount style setup..

most have a rear main or input shaft seal leak.. it's why ford put a bellhousing weep hole in.. ;)

without my manuals with me I couldn't speculat at speed.. but i would suspect above 10 and below 20....

Thanks for the reply. To answer a few of your questions...

They ARE smooth axles/hubs. I looked up some pics of the differences to be sure. But based on what you are saying is that rarer in ths case may not be a good thing??? They broke easier??

The dash is definatally cast, but I dont know if it is cast ALU or cast iron. Did they make a cast iron one???? If not than it definatally is ALU.

Hood is just sheetmetal. Not cast.

Just wish I knew the speed though. t-data dont list it like the 8n. It does list 11.5mph with just the 3-speed though. So i bet the step-up puts it closer to 20. Do you happen to know the gear ratio change??

Also, forgot to mention that it also comes with a lighter duty KK 6' blade. almost like new. Around here that would bring $300 pretty easy on c-list. Which puts the "good running 9n w/sherman" at around $800. And around here, that will only buy a POS-nonrunning-Nseries that has sat in the weeds neglected for 15 years.:confused2:

/ 9n questions.....Soundguy???? or others #4  
again.. without my manual handy.. i can only speculate at speed. i have a 2n with a step up. I also have a 4000 4 cyl rowcrop with a combo.. the rowcrop is a lil lower speed due to bull gears.. but it clears 15 easilly.. I'd expect 18ish on the 9n

as for the hubs breaking? remember.. these were farm tractors 70ys ago..and farmes put them to the test to work them. the average user now won't be usign them as hard as when they were new. also.. not every early axle had a void or inclusion.. and most that did ALREADY broke. if ones alive now.. it's probably fine. you could likely sell them to a colelctor looking to do an original restore too.

dash, if cast, is aluminum. got a magnet? ;)

THE STEP UP ADDS ABOUT 100$ VALUE TO THE MACHINE INSTALLED.. AND 200$ FOR SALE OUTRIGHT.. IMPLEMENT IS A GOOD THING TO ADD VALUE TOO.. SO ALL IN ALL.. IT'S A GOOD DEAL IF IT RUNS OUT OK... darn caps lock on this lil pc...