1946 Ford 2N hydraulic lift woes

/ 1946 Ford 2N hydraulic lift woes #1  

texasnative1973

Tractor
1946 Ford 2N
I recently rebuilt the hydraulic pump on my 2N. It was working just fine for a little while. After rebuilding the pump the original clutch friction disk flew apart. I put a new clutch kit and a resurfaced fly wheel in and was back in business. The next part to come unwound was the overrun connected to the brush hog. When this quit I lifted the 3 point to make sure I didn't shear anything. The bush hog started lifting and then it slammed to the ground and will not lift anymore. I am starting to pull my hair out. The linkages and control valve are in good shape, the lift piston and rings are in good shape, the fluid tube is not cracked, and the fluid is brand new specific for N tractors. The lift arms will lift with nothing attached and I can see the arms lift up a little when the lever is pulled up. Does anybody have any suggestions, I am running out of hair... Thanks

/ 1946 Ford 2N hydraulic lift woes #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ 1946 Ford 2N hydraulic lift woes #4  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors Forum.

/ 1946 Ford 2N hydraulic lift woes #5  
pull the inspectioncover off.. the one with the dipstick in the side of the center section..

when you pull the lift handle up, does the fork linkage move the 'T' valve in and out fully?

if so, is there a stream of oil coming from the mouth of the cyl, or from overhead of the cyl where it mates to the hyd top cover?

lastly, is there turbulens in the oil in the vicinity of the relief plug... don't feel around with your hands as there is a spinning pto shaf tin there.

when off, you can slip a piece of tubing over the relief and direct it up over the oil level then start up again and lift a load.. if oil comes out the tube.. relief is shot..

post back