Ford 851 RESTORE

/ Ford 851 RESTORE #1  

Ford851

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 851
Hello, I'm trying to restore a 1961-62 Ford 851 tractor. I've had this tractor for some time and its performed every task I asked of it and now its time to put it back to its original configuration. The task at hand is to two fold. After the bearings in the steering assembly wore out and it froze up, I tore the assembly down and replaced the thrust bearings. I greased the bearings on reassembly. The book I have says to put 1.5 pounds of fluid in the housing, but it doesn't tell the TYPE OF FLUID. Or how to get it in the assembly. Any help would be appreciated. I tried my Ford tractor dealer, all they would say was "because it is measured in pounds its probably 80 weight". I'd like a little more to go on. And secondly, how do you get it in the housing?

Also, if anyone can tell me how to assembly the three piece egg crate front end sheet metal on my 851. Does the screen go inside the upper sheet metal piece? How are the tangs on the lower sheet metal attached? And what size fasteners go in the lower holes? I just know they are 5/16-18 threads, but what length were the originals? Were they hex heads or wing nuts etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance,

/ Ford 851 RESTORE #2  
depending on what manual you look at.. 80w gear oil.. or 50w engine oil may be specified for the steering gear.. however I reccomend a 0 or 00 EP grease. jd cornhead grease meets this test.. so doeslawn mower lower end lube.. snapper and stens make some..

if you will look at your parts diagram, or the steering gearbox itself, you will notice a plug ( pipe plug ) in the steering column/cover that bolts to the sector housing. plug is inthe front.. most of us remove it and put in a large zerk.. and then pump it full of that 0/00 ep grease till it extrudes out under the steering wheel. then every few months give it another pump.

the front grill is held on by 4 winged fasteners.. there are tangs on the sheet metal for this lil concave pieces for the fasteners to go into.. . egg crate goes on over that, and the lower trim as well.

Hello, I'm trying to restore a 1961-62 Ford 851 tractor. I've had this tractor for some time and its performed every task I asked of it and now its time to put it back to its original configuration. The task at hand is to two fold. After the bearings in the steering assembly wore out and it froze up, I tore the assembly down and replaced the thrust bearings. I greased the bearings on reassembly. The book I have says to put 1.5 pounds of fluid in the housing, but it doesn't tell the TYPE OF FLUID. Or how to get it in the assembly. Any help would be appreciated. I tried my Ford tractor dealer, all they would say was "because it is measured in pounds its probably 80 weight". I'd like a little more to go on. And secondly, how do you get it in the housing?

Also, if anyone can tell me how to assembly the three piece egg crate front end sheet metal on my 851. Does the screen go inside the upper sheet metal piece? How are the tangs on the lower sheet metal attached? And what size fasteners go in the lower holes? I just know they are 5/16-18 threads, but what length were the originals? Were they hex heads or wing nuts etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance,

/ Ford 851 RESTORE
Thanks for the quick response. You are a fountain of knowledge Soundguy. And that takes care of issue #1 on lubrication. :cool: But I'm still a little fuzzy on the sheet metal problem. Does the upper inside screen go inside the upper egg crate tangs? When I bought the after market pieces they didn't come with instructions and I'm just guessing at the orientation. It took some effort to force the screen inside the egg crate.

The lower front piece has tangs with holes in them. Do these tangs go between the screen and the egg crate tangs or behind the lower egg crate tangs. I have the lower piece tangs between the screen and egg crate tangs. I tried to put an 11/2" 5/16-18 hex head thru all three then into the concave receiving bolt assembly attached to the side fender. This has been extremely hard to line up.

Since I'm kinda blind here on the orientation and I'm not to keen on forcing it is why I'm yielding to a higher power.

Like this from back to front of tractor:

1 egg crate tang, lower piece tang, screen hole (with bolt going thru all three pieces)
2. lower piece tang, egg crate tang, screen hole (with bolt going thru all three pieces)

Please advise !!!!

Last edited:
   / Ford 851 RESTORE
Thanks for the quick response. You are a fountain of knowledge Soundguy. And that takes care of issue #1 on lubrication. :cool: But I'm still a little fuzzy on the sheet metal problem. Does the upper inside screen go inside the upper egg crate tangs? When I bought the after market pieces they didn't come with instructions and I'm just guessing at the orientation. It took some effort to force the screen inside the egg crate.

The lower front piece has tangs with holes in them. Do these tangs go between the screen and the egg crate tangs or behind the lower egg crate tangs. I have the lower piece tangs between the screen and egg crate tangs. I tried to put an 11/2" 5/16-18 hex head thru all three then into the concave receiving bolt assembly attached to the side fender. This has been extremely hard to line up.

Since I'm kinda blind here on the orientation and I'm not to keen on forcing it is why I'm yielding to a higher power.

Like this from back to front of tractor:

1 egg crate tang, lower piece tang, screen hole (with bolt going thru all three pieces)
2. lower piece tang, egg crate tang, screen hole (with bolt going thru all three pieces)

Please advise !!!!

/ Ford 851 RESTORE #5  
   / Ford 851 RESTORE #6  
kinda hard to follow your posts.

the GRILL screen HAS to go on the 'inside'. that fits into the hood pieces once they are assembled the egg crate goes on OVER that.

i'm going to see if i have any pics of me assembling a 901.. probably don't.. but will check

this likely won't help much as it is of a rowcrop and doesn't have the lower bits..

Attachments

• a108798.jpg
    a108798.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 979
   / Ford 851 RESTORE
Hello and thanks to you that replied to my post. First, I would like to thank soundguy for verifying the placement of the upper screen. I had to force my screen into the egg crate and thought maybe this was wrong, but now I feel more confident.

Secondly, I have tried Ford Tractor Dealers and they weren't able to help me. They gave me the exploded views but they don't show enough detail. I really need someone who has this series of tractor and is willing to look at their setup for me. But I appreciate the thought and the lead to the website.

Thirdly, I'm new to this blogging stuff and could not quite figure out how to answer my replies properly. I put a ticket in to the support group but have not heard back. Dad's day.... I apologize for multiple posts or misleading anyone. I now understand that double posting is a taboo.

Soundguy if you have an 850 I would appreciate a look see for the tangs on the lower piece ....

Thanks again to both my responders
Ford851

/ Ford 851 RESTORE #8  
Soundguy if you have an 850 I would appreciate a look see for the tangs on the lower piece ....

Thanks again to both my responders
Ford851

only the 801/901 series wil have the egg crate and only the 801 will have the lower trim. I ...sadly... :( do not have any 801 I do have 901, and plenty of X00 though. wish I could help more, but just don't have pics or machines available with thtat trim package you seek.

hit this webpage.. you can see a pic of a very nice 801 and the lower trim.. might help some. see where it bolts thru the doglegs.. etc..

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

/ Ford 851 RESTORE
Hello soundguy,

I understand and appreciate your help. Look forward to your continuing help on other threads I'll be posting. Great to have you around!!!!

Best Regards,
Ford851:drink:

/ Ford 851 RESTORE #10  
good luck and keep us posted