53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #1  

the turf

Tractor
53 ford jubilee
Just Joined today because pulled my dads 53 jubilee out of the barn yesterday.... hasnt ran in 10 years plus.I was hoping someone would have plan of attack on the first steps of getting it running . other then clening it already did that. When it was parked it ran fine.

Attachments

• 53 ford.jpg
    53 ford.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 430
   / 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #2  
Plan of attack? Check oil level or maybe drain it if it is hot up there and put in some fresh oil. Drain gas tank. Add a fresh gallon of gas and try to start it. Well probably a fresh or borrowed battery. Is that a 6 or 12 volt tractor, or has it been converted up to 12 volts? Some cars have the oil pump driven by the distributor. You can install a priming rod to operate the oil pump with a slow running electric drill. No idea if that engine has the pre-prime option. Some might suggest a short squirt of oil in every cylinder and turn the engine by hand with no spark plugs just to make sure nothing is bound up. Check transmission oil level and maybe plan to change it when you get the tractor running. Our high school had a Golden Jubilee that we used for snow plowing and mowing. Sometimes doughnuts in the parking lot in the winter.

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #3  
Just Joined today because pulled my dads 53 jubilee out of the barn yesterday.... hasnt ran in 10 years plus.I was hoping someone would have plan of attack on the first steps of getting it running . other then clening it already did that. When it was parked it ran fine.
Almost bought a Jubilee before I found this MF135. Those old fords are like a good Timex watch. Welcome to TBN from Tennessee -robert

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #4  
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. Nice looking old Ford.

Ken

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #5  
Welcome to the forums and can't bear what JimRB said. We have a Jubilee that I used for years and now my brother keeps it running; nice to have the connection to your father, one of my brothers uses the Ford 600 dad bought new in 1966.

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #6  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors Forum.

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #7  
pull the spark plugs.. put in neutral.. block clutch.. see if it will roll over by hand.

if not seized.. put some atf fluid in each cyl.

clean or repalce plugs.. champion h10 or h12 ( 512 ).. or al 437 plugs fine.

.025 gap on plugs

clean and regap points ( .025 as well )

roll engine over a bit and add more atf.

get a battery.. same as the old one.. clean up bat terminals and grounds. mae sure you install same polarity.

check coolant and engine oil and rans oil and rear end oil.

once you get it started.. I'd dran and flush all ols and change.

i like a 15w40 oil in the crankcase..and for the trans and diffy.. you can use a 80w90 oil, or UTF.. and for hte hyds, UTF.

grease all fittings.. oil dizzy oiler same with generator if it has one..

service the oil bath air cleaner.

lube the steering box after assessing thrust and sector play.

fo-19 service manual and a master parts catalog is a good 40$ investment.

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #8  
The Hiawatha of vintage ford iron has spoke. Listen!!

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years #9  
The Hiawatha of vintage ford iron has spoke. Listen!!
Soundguy does seem pretty knowledgeable re old fords

I had to learn all the things it took to keep my old 8N running all by myself, by trial and error, and as I remember it seems there was lots more errors than trials

/ 53 jubilee out of the barn after ten years
I pulled the gas tank off tO have it dipped and sent the carb out as well.

Gas what type? I know this old motors ran on lead.

do I need to put in a lead additive or some type of additive ?