Ford 851 Restore II

/ Ford 851 Restore II
Do you mean right side fender. I'm a little confused. My fenders when they arrived had a push/pull switch mounted in the hole. It was electrical. Had two red wires coming off of it. I can only guess from what I saw on the fender and from what your telling me that someone has made one of famous "Ford modifications". My original fenders don't have this hole. But they don't have the front egg-crate screw recepticals either. Having a hard time getting back to original configuration.

Bought some diesel to was the air intake screens. Soaking them tonight. Thanks for that input. Also, got some acetone to soak the fuel tank.

Also, this weekend will be making the wiring harness for the lights front and rear. So making progress.

I also found the socket that goes to the alternator warning light that holds a 12 volt bulb. It snaps in place. Found the socket at Napa. Its a tight fit so it should not fall out. I have some diodes around somewhere. Will be looking for them as well. I suspect a 1 amp job should do the trick. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm mounting a terminal strip on the steering column where the voltage regulator used to reside. Then I can run the wires to a central area and label them. A little more work, but I think its worth it.

Hope you all had an accident free Friday the 13th. :eek:

Best regards,
Ford851

/ Ford 851 Restore II #32  
no switches on the fender. a rear worklamp may have had a switch on it. any switches you found directly on a fender were from the prev owner.

I generally just use ammeter posts to do wireing.. but a wire terminal block works just fine too.

/ Ford 851 Restore II
Its Saturday and wanted to clean up a few loose ends. Went to Ford today and got my 4 post solenoid, and the big throttle spring, also talked to them about the diesel fuel tank situation. i was told there are 3 diesel fuel tanks and the parts aren't interchangeable so I need to get my serial number of the tranny. It is white out time.

Second loose end was to strip paint of the hood. Did it with a drill and wire brush attachment. Putting on liquid glazing this afternoon for sanding tonight. Paint tomorrow in Ford red. Since I look at the hood all the time I'm on the tractor I want a mirror finish. :cool:

If someone know about the headlights on an 850 let me know if they took the round brackets between the light and fender or they just boltee to the fender itself. The lights I now have are the originals with a bolt coming from the light and they swivel in flat (horizontal) plane. The bolt has two washers on it and one nut. If someone knows how they lock down I'm interested. My books don't show this detail.

See ya,
Ford851

/ Ford 851 Restore II #34  
lamps were a dealer option.. the round covers are common... in truth.. ANY lamps could have been installed in the last 50ys...

/ Ford 851 Restore II
OK. I'll try to figure out what the "hot setup" was back then and do it that way. Got the hood wire brushed and it had some pits in the metal so I covered the hood with some liquid glazing. Like to never get the stuff sanded flat. Did manage to get a coat of primer on however, Will let it set tonight, sand with 120 and 400 tomorrow and lay on the top coat

Till tomorrow--sse ya then
Ford851

/ Ford 851 Restore II #36  
round covers were the common setup..

/ Ford 851 Restore II
I think I finally have the run down on my tractor. Its not an 851 but an 850. The serial number is 125675. From an owners manual I have this means its a tractor built between 1955 and 1958. If anyone has more precise info please advise.

Best regards,
Ford851

/ Ford 851 Restore II #38  
mid 57 by sn.

as you found out.. using the tin / or hood decals to id the tractor is rarely fruitfull.

tin is easy to swap.. and decals are easy to put on.

either way.. 850 is a good machine. I have 2..

/ Ford 851 Restore II
Thanks for the year sound guy. Yes, I have nothing but praise for this work horse. She alway done everything I've ask of her. Now I have a decision to make. My old front fenders are probably the correct fenders for an 850, but they don't have the big round standoffs for the egg crate grill. They do have the raised FORD on them, however. The fenders I just purchased have the standoffs. But they don't have the raised FORD on the side and they do have the PTO control lever hole as you pointed out. I think these fenders came off of a tractor that had the Select-O-Matic transmission. Now I'm wondering if its worth taking the standoffs off the new fenders and putting them on the old fenders. This would give the correct period look I'm trying to get to. Decisions Decisions Decisions Or I could just put a dewey plug in the hole and hope no one notices.

By the way, I've fit the fuel tank on the tractor and it looks like it will work. I'm going for the new tank. I want that fuel gauge so bad I can taste it. I just hope it doesn't lead to more grief.

It seams like when I remove something I see something else that needs attention. Removed the old gas tank and realized the brackets holding the tank, the heat deflection plate and valve cover needed a clean and paint. Doing it now so I don't have to disassemble later on. I just keep digging this hole deeper.

See ya,
and thanks again,
Ford 851

/ Ford 851 Restore II #40  
by fenders I take it you mean hood sides?

the hole for the pto cable ended up being a standard deal on late sheet metal.

800 series tractors did not have egg crate fronts.

I'd forget all about 'correct' and just get a working tractor.

nothing about it will be correct.

fuel senders, etc were an 01 series thing.. not 00

:)