Starter Solenoid

/ Starter Solenoid #1  

Ford851

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 851
Anyone know the Ford 851 4 post starter solenoid part number? What is the Napa equivalent part number? All I can find are the 8n or 9n part numbers. Are they the same as 800 series solenoids. Napa is closer and probably more reasonable. I know I've seen it posted somewhere, but my searches aren't turning up any good results.

This bring up the point, "how do you narrow a search"? Each time I put in a search line I get 2500 posts. Are searches done on the whole site or can you narrow them down to a single forum? What is the delimiter used for searches?

Best regards,
Ford851

/ Starter Solenoid #2  
i don't know the part number but if sound guy or some of the vintage tractor experts see this they can help might send him pm good luck

/ Starter Solenoid #3  
311007 is a ford 4 poster, 6v oe number
st541 is the napa #

/ Starter Solenoid #4  
311007 is a ford 4 poster, 6v oe number
st541 is the napa #

/ Starter Solenoid
Thanks soundguy. If I am now running a 12 volt system shouldn't i be using a 12 volt solenoid to close the starter circuit? I think the two center posts are just a coil that when energized closes the contacts for the heavier battery/starter circuit. There must be some logic behind why a 6v solenoid is used. Bottom line: it works so use it:confused2:

Thanks,
Ford851

/ Starter Solenoid #6  
they are a simply isolated base solenoid. the 2 small posts just conenct to the field coil.. energize them and the solenoid pulls in and connects the 2 larger contacts.

thus power from the key to one small post, and the safety starter button ( ground ) to the other small post.

the 6v solenoid works FINE on 12v.

if you want to get very particular about it, you can lookup the solenoid to a diesel 4 cyl ( 59-64 ), and it will have a 12v 4 post solenoid...

I've yet to ever change to a 12v solenoid.. :)

/ Starter Solenoid
Thanks sound guy,

Got it Really no need to change as you point out. Just curious. Too lazy to pull the specs.

Will be changing to 4 post when I install stuff to get back to original configuration.

See ya,
Ford851

/ Starter Solenoid #8  
311006 is the oem #

ST542 napa echlin.. 12v

:)

/ Starter Solenoid #10  
Soundguy,

I have a 1958 Ford 861 D that's 12V and I need a solenoid. Checking NAPA there price for a ST542 is 31.00. Tractor Supply sells a 4 post solenoid for 12.99 but the part number is 311007FR for a 6V system. The specs on the solenoids appear to be the same, have you ever used a 6V solenoid from Tractor Supply for a 12V system?