A new NAA project now someday a new loader

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #11  
i agree.. could be blown between 2 and 3
ont he lever.. I'd sure see if it was a piion clutch. if so.. it is likely the mechanical one. I notice 2 changes out bolts / studs onthe top cover as well on that side..

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader
I did a little test tonight. With all the plugs pulled, I put some compressed air in the number 3 cyl to see if it came out the number 2. It did. Works the other way too. Tried it in various configurations (at TDC etc) and air is only coming out of the 2 middle cylinders. Looks like a head gasket in is order.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #13  
yup.

i reccomend getting a head kit from felpro. i just did one on my 4 cyl 4000 good kit..

remember to retorque after warming.

easy head to pull,, no ohc or timing concerns...

thanks Soundguy,

I finally got enough of the grease and grim removed to actually find the head bolts :)

I only have the I and T repair manual. It shows a torque value of 65-70 ft-lb for the head. Sound right? No mention of re-torquing but I assume you mean get it to operating temperature, then let it cool then re-torque.

Also the radiator was so full of leak stop (or some other crud) that it wouldn't drain, I had to pull the lower hose to drain it but about 1.5 gallons came out. The petcock on the block only dribbled a bit. I'm concerned that the cooling passages are all gummed up in the block, any thoughts on how to flush them out some before reassembly.

Thanks

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #15  
yep.. warm and retorque.

whatever the it says on torque is fine. I just redid the head on my 4 cyl 4000 was easiest head other than a flatty, I have worked on. no surprises.

i'd flush the block with a commercial flush.. then water and vinegar.. then water.. use a hose and back flush..

Well I flushed out some gunk from the cooling system. Looks like it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The low spots of the system (petcock on the block and the radiator drain) had lots of granular stop leak type stuff in it, once I got the goop out things started flowing pretty well. The radiator is a lost cause though.

Got the head off and found...(drumroll)...head gasket was blown between numbers 2 and 3! There doesn't appear to have any appreciable damage to the metal of the head and block.

So anyone have good ideas on prepping the head and block for the new gasket? I figured I'd run a tap in the bolt holes to clean them out. Carefully scrape any remaining crud from the surface of both head and block. With rags in the bores, clean everything with brake cleaner (or lacquer thinner). New gasket and some aviation liquid gasket around the water ports, and bolt it back up.

Here are some pictures... IMG_1973.jpgIMG_1960.jpgIMG_1961.jpgIMG_1964.jpgIMG_1968.jpgIMG_1969.jpg

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #17  
Looks like a fun project! Keep posting info.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #18  
use a scotchbrite and gasket remover to clean the deck and head.. then clean up with carb spray.. then use a nice gasket like a felpro. I usually put em on dry.. but if you must, use something like indian head.. or the permatex spray on head gasket tak. I believe the avaition sealer may be fine .. install torque.. set valves.. warm.. reset valves retorque head..

make sure top end is oiling.. thus leave valve cover and push rod cover on loose. use a small 1qt gas tank run to the carb to run her during this..

The latest...The head was slightly warped so I took it to the local machine shop. It is flat now but in the process he found a crack in the head. It is about 1/2 inch long and starts at the number 2 cyl exhaust valve. :thumbdown: That is just the one he can see. He is going to magnaflux it to see if there are other cracks to contend with and if the visible one extends down into the combustion chamber. Best case I'm looking at having the one crack repaired, worst case it is now a boat anchor.

I've got calls into the local tractor junk yard, and the guys at NAPA are poking around to find one.

If anyone has a good head with 7/16 bolt holes they want to sell me in the greater Salem Oregon area, (or at least in the PNW) shoot me a PM.

My Felpro gaskets got here today.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #20  
a good used one will be your friend.. new ones with bolt hole spacers will be spendy!