A new NAA project now someday a new loader

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #41  
Great find on that radiator.:thumbsup: They don't seem to make them as good now as the originals were.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #42  
I have a manifold that looks like it's made with that crack. It's on both end holes, and the gap is wider and looks like it was cast that way on purpose.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader
I got her fired up today. I rigged up a temporary fuel system. ( A tin can and hose), Opened the fuel valve, pulled the choke and she fired right up. Sweet!

I visually checked if I have oil coming through the valve train, and that looks good. The only gage on it that actually works it the oil pressure gage at it is showing 40 PSI.

I let her run for a while, lacking a temp gage I just felt the motor and it feels good, got warm to the touch but sufficiently cooling. I cycled the loader a bit and both the bucket tilt and the lift arms function.

The power steering isn't working. When I opened it up before running it the reservoir was empty but not dry. I filled it with UTF so with luck the pump will purge any air and come to life.

Tomorrow AM I will re-torque the head. I'll have a few more things to do on it before it is ready for service. I'll have to see if the the clutch is free, find some Gages, and replace the exhaust pipe that has a series of holes in it at the first bend. The carb started pouring out fuel immediately after I shut it down, so that will have to be addressed as well.

Also here a tip... I had a hard time getting the oil feed line in with the new grommet so I put the line in the freezer for a couple days, then oiled up the hole and quickly ran from the freezer to the tractor, it slipped right in.

I'll post some more pictures soon.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #44  
you may have to spin the wheel lock to lock to purge the cyls if they are dry.. and with thesmall resv amount.. may have to top off frequently till bleed out.

post back

So I took a week off to go visit my parents. It was my dad's 73rd Birthday and we had a good week of hanging out and working on his projects...I retorqued the head before I left

Got back to the tractor today. Got the fuel tank hooked up and the fuel system largely leak free. It runs ok but at pretty low rpm...the carb is dumping fuel especially after it is shut down so I suspect it is flooding. I was able to run it up and down the driveway a bit, which was the main point of the day, checking if the clutch is free and functioning. The clutch and brakes work well.

The power steering seems to be working itself out with some driving. I cycled the loader a few time and it goes up to full hight and the bucket tilt works. It is a little slow but again the engine is running pretty slowly at this point and the loader pump is driven off the front of the crank.

I also engaged the mystery lever near the PTO lever. Pushing it forward and the trans in first gear makes it creep more slowly then having it straight upright, with the trans in first gear. I suspect backwards will make it go faster. So although it isn't clear who make the device it seems to multiply the gears for a total of 12. (this is what the seller told me but he called it a sherman which seems to be incorrect)

Lastly here is a photo of the generator from below. I marked the terminal that should go to the regulator and the one to ground but in my overzealous cleaning removed my markings...I think the terminal that is on the top in this view is the one to the regulator, and the bottom one is the ground...anyone able to confirm this? IMG_2022.jpggenerator from below.jpgIMG_2019.jpg

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #46  
the terminal with the insulator goes to genny / vreg field.

the ground terminal on the genny is just redundant to make sure genny and vreg share a common ground to prevent overcharging.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #47  
the terminal with the insulator goes to genny / vreg field.

the ground terminal on the genny is just redundant to make sure genny and vreg share a common ground to prevent overcharging.

Of course...that makes sense....thanks

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #49  
"I also engaged the mystery lever near the PTO lever. Pushing it forward and the trans in first gear makes it creep more slowly then having it straight upright, with the trans in first gear. I suspect backwards will make it go faster. So although it isn't clear who make the device it seems to multiply the gears for a total of 12. (this is what the seller told me but he called it a sherman which seems to be incorrect)"

Judging from your description and the handle, it appears you have a Howard Rotavator Gear Reduction. Fairly scarce if it's anything like the flat head version, you shouldn't use it for pulling stumps - It's not as stout as the rest of your power train as it's sole purpose was to reduce speed over ground without slowing the PTO for use with a tiller.

DB thanks for the insight.

Based on some google searching it appears that it is the Howard gear reduction. Apparently it was different for the NAA compared to those on the 9/2/8N, but several people mention that it is a bit breakage prone when pulling. It is perhaps a relatively rare and desirable option.

I just wish I didn't have so many other projects keeping me from getting the tractor really done.