A new NAA project now someday a new loader

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #61  
where's the tank leaking?

don't swaet the hyd hose.. that's just gods way of rust proofing your machine and helping you with any dry skin condition you might have had.

at elast htat's how I took it when my naa with a loader popped a hose... :)

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader
Ha! That's good...there is certainly a nice sheen on the tractor that it hasn't seen since it was new. I was thinking last night that I should have posted pictures of the hoses and taken bets on which one would go first, that could have been a fun game.

I was also thinking that the tank might not be leaking. The gas was on the left edge of the tank and on the heat shield below. It might have been sitting here from the slight spillage when i fueled it up and then flowed/was blown out when it started running. I put some catchment under the tractor and it looks dry this am.

Further work will have to be back burner-ed for now I promised my wife some some built in cabinets in the newly remodeled bedrooms by the end of the year, and I'm getting dangerously close to not finishing. With only one garage I need to reconfigure from "tractor shop" to "wood shop" for a few weeks.

Well it was a long winter of other projects. Charged up yhe battery and got the naa fired up. Three main issues to tackle.
First replacement of leaking or rotten hydraulic hoses for the loader. Got them all stripped out today and hopfully will be made tomorrow.

Second the generator is only putting out about 1.75 volts and it fluctates btween 2 and .9. I'm assuming the brushes need to be replaced but i'm not sure i can do it on the bench.

Lastly button up the sheetmetal.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #64  
if it was brushes.. they can be replaced.. as long as the plate isn't damaged.

personally.. I'd polarize it and see what it did. pas tthat.. a motor test.. and if it passes.. then a full field and cutout bypass test... the tech in that genny is over 100ys old.. :)

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #65  
Just read you're entire post. Great job not only on what you accomplished but on the posting and pictures. Will be of great value to many. Haven't had a project myself for awhile but looking forward to another. Again, thanks for a great thread and enjoy your tractor.

Well on the generator i took it down to an starter/alternator shop as i was running to town to look into hydraulic hoses. The guy there put it on the test machine and it is running fine. The bearings are starting to squeek a bit but it is generating just fine. I'll search the forum for polarizing procedure. On a more general electrical note can anyone suggest a few books on electrical theory. I generally muddle through but would like to bone up on fundamentals.

On to hydraulics. I blew half the day while the guy at the only hydraulics place in town generated a quote. 265 bucks for 7 hoses. Seemed a bit much. All the hoses have 3/8 inch fittings. Most are pipe thread but there are 4 jit ends. 2 of the hoses are 1/2 inch the rest are 3/8. The local kubota guy can set me up for 177$ with a mix of custom length hoes and some standard lengths that will be a bit longer than the orginal hose. Surplus center can get it all done for less than 100$ but several hoses will have to be longer than the originals by as much as 12 inches. Probable i' ll use the local guy and surplus center after crunching the numbers. All the hose is 3000 psi. Well back to work...

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #67  
you could have 'bench' tested it right ont he machine.

motor test and full filed test require jumper wires and a battery.. that's it.

in fact.. the motor test correctly polarizes the genny.

if it has in fact been bench tested.. no need to re-polarize it.

for general info on that B circuit genny however... jumper bat hot to field onthe genny, while the case is grounded, and it will polarize.

to motor test.. slip belt off, and apply bat hot to armature and field. genny should spin. if it spins.. it SHOULD charge. some have a field fault (short) and won't charge.. but will weakly spin.

full field test by jumpering bat to field and armature when running..

for a book on electronics that will cover those old setup.. you'll liekly need a vintage book... almost no need though.. electrical gfeneration principles are over a century old nowadays..

Thanks for the proceedure on the alternator. Turns out the wire off the armature was broken so that there was essentially no connection. I refreshed all the wires coming off the generator. I'll run through the tests on monday.

On the hydraulics there is a bit of white cloudy goo draining out of the reservoir. I was thinking about using some atf and alcohol and running it for a while to clear the stuff. I'm assuming that i can run it this way and it won't damage the pump.

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #69  
a lil diesel, some atf and some alcohol make a good flush for the hyds.

Hydraulic resvervoir flushed. Sheetmetel back on...its rough but attached. Genny is working. Aircleaner refit to tractor....waiting for my new hydro hoses....then maybe actually do some work. Picts to follow.