A new NAA project now someday a new loader

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
So I have been bugging my wife for a tractor with a loader. My little Mitsubishi is great but is not so equipped. Here is the latest project...Just got it home less than an hour ago. The motor is free although the clutch is not, but hope springs eternal. It appears to have a low range selector (see pic) and a Shawnee loader. Next to make it run. Soundguy has posted detailed descriptions on how to bring theses old girls back to life, and I will go through that procedure.

IMG_1937.jpgIMG_1936.jpgIMG_1935.jpgIMG_1934.jpg

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #2  
so far I see pwer steering.. a huge plus. but more cimportantly. i think I see a large lever by the pto lever.. that may be nice. I can't see the detail on my lil screen though. might be a rear pinion clutch live pto kit.

generally the naa live pto was a hyd kit and would need a line off a special pump on the nose of the hydro pump over to the kit. there was a kit for the 8n that was straight mechanical.. I bet an enterprising person could adapt one. in any case.. sans the line.. it is possibly one of the other rear aux trans. I simply can't see it in enough detail with my mobile device..

howard shifters are on the right under the 3pt lever.. and evereets are a spacer. so it MIGHT be the rre one. clean the palte up and post info.

I don't see a hyd line though... got a close up of the engine pump?

go ahead and block clutch while working on her..

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader
Yep it does have power steering. Leaking a bit, but functional. There is a large lever by the PTO lever. The seller called it the sherman low range but I'm not sure he has that right.

I'll post a few more pictures of the engine pump and levers. The clutch is blocked. I hope to get working on this next week...

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #4  
sherman 'underdrives' were installed ahead of the tranny. lever ont he left side. underdrives were rare.. overdrives pretty common.. and combo's the most common. a reverser was available as well.

plenty of people made aux trannies.

clean up that plate and look for info on it.. and post detailed pics.

So here is a small update. I finally managed to get some time to work on the NAA.

The serial number stamped below the flat in front of the starter is 93375. It also has the text "NAA 4024 C" cast into the transmission case just below the PTO engage lever.

The plate that the PTO engagement lever comes out of along with a mystery lever has the text "pat. applied for 10128-53" (see photo). There are no hydraulic lines feeding into this area. The engine block has the text "DN1L 80150" cast into the right side at the base of the block.

The left running board appears to formally have a tool box in it. It has been welded up with diamond plate...see the pattern difference.

I removed the hood to start to give it a thorough cleaning and found a broken wire at the starter solenoid Got that fixed and now the solenoid makes a buzzing noise but the starter doesn't crank.:confused:

IMG_1951.jpgIMG_1945.jpgIMG_1946.jpgIMG_1947.jpgIMG_1948.jpg

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #6  
need a more complete pic of the pto shifter plate.

as for the solenoid.. is it a ford solenoid? how is it wired?

Here are a couple more pictures. A better image of the shifter plate and 1 of the solenoid with editing showing what wires are going where. Hope to work some more this afternoon. Thankssoloniod with arrows.jpgIMG_1952.jpg

So I bypassed the solenoid to get the engine to crank. The battery is strong, pulled all the plugs and did a compression test. The results in PSI...

CYL Dry Wet
1 110 145
2 40 45
3 50 45....I repeated this several times...not sure why it went down
4 115 130

These results reflect roughly what the previous owner told me. What do these number mean to you?

Thanks

/ A new NAA project now someday a new loader #9  
Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket between number 2 and three cylinders