Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin!

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Well, I've finally done it. I bought a bigger tractor to handle some of the larger tasks, like field work, my little Ford 1510 just won't be able to do. It's a 1957 Fordson Major Diesel, which appears to have been upgraded a bit over the years. Here's what I know so far.
The good:
The engine has been overhauled fairly recently, and so far, seems to start and run quite well.
The PTO is their "Live Drive" with a two-stage clutch.
The 3pt hitch is position sensitive, plus it has draft control, which I didn't think came until the Power or maybe even Super Majors! Rear hydraulics have send and return, as well as a shut-off valve.
Rear rims and tires appear to have been taken from another tractor. They're huge!
Almost brand new rear tires! :thumbsup:
Two weights on each rear wheel.
Rears tires loaded.
Generator has been replaced with an alternator.

The bad:
Right break won't engage, but it's easy to get to, so no big deal.
Needs radiator hoses. They work, but weep a bit.
Fan belt appears to be too long. Easy fix.
Seat suspension must have worn out, as the whole blasted thing is welded in one piece! :muttering:
Needs new gauges.
Needs muffler to replace the straight pipe.

The ugly:
Tin is in rough shape. I can deal with that as I go.

The damage? $1200! :cool2:

All in all, my dad seems to think everything is a pretty easy fix. (He should know, he grew up on a farm and they did all their own wrenching.) In fact, he's really chomping at the bit to get to work on this. The way I see it, I bought a new set of tires and got a free tractor with them; plus, it gives my retired father another project to keep his mind sharp.

So, does anyone know where to get a whole seat? :confused3:
0814121856a.jpg0814121857a.jpg

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #2  
Very Nice! Looks like you got yourself a nice project and a nice piece of equipment. Good Job!

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #3  
A running diesel for $1200--you done good:thumbsup:

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #4  
all the bad stuff you mentioned is easy to fix.. cheap too.

and the tin don't look that bad.

hoses and belts are common maint items.

ps.. draft control was on the first ford out in 39.. :) position control is what took a bit to catch up.

sounds like a great unit.

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin!
all the bad stuff you mentioned is easy to fix.. cheap too.

and the tin don't look that bad.

hoses and belts are common maint items.

ps.. draft control was on the first ford out in 39.. :) position control is what took a bit to catch up.

sounds like a great unit.
Agreed on the bad stuff and the ease of fixing them. The worse part of the tin is the front cowl where something heavy fell on it and put a big crease in it. It's deeper than it looks in the photo, but I still think I can hammer it out. The surface rust makes it look worse than it really is. A bit of pressure washing, sand blasting and paint will do wonders.

Ooh... That looks perfect! Thanks! Fortunately, there is a New Holland dealer right in town, so this should be a piece of cake!

Joe

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #7  
Nice machine, it's really gunna look sharp with new paint, congratulations !

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #8  
Great deal.

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #9  
Congratulations:thumbsup:

You are going to be tickled spitless once you start working the old man. Really easy on fuel. Running all day (7hrs on the meter) at PTO speed (1200 RPM) you'll use maybe 8-10 gallons.

Anything your NH dealer doesn't have you can get in the after market. Gauges are plentiful on eBay and there are plenty of places to get parts and several breakers who have lots of used parts both here and in Canada.

BTW the 30x16.9 rears were one of the standard sizes.

Good luck and happy seat time.

Fordsons don't leak ... they are just marking their territory.

/ Just bought a Fordson Diesel Major. Let the games begin! #10  
nice thing about metal.. it's fixable. wood block and hammer out the crease as best you can.. then a skim coat of filler. once sanded and apinted.. you won't know.