adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #1  

mudrob01

Tractor
1962 Ford 2000/ Gas
I have been working on a Ford 2000 model tractor 1963 and it lopes while driving . I am wondering how to adjust the governor on the tractor. All help is appreciated..
Dennis

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #2  
first, make sure it is not starving for fuel.. they will 'hunt' when fuel supply is inadequate... engine will start to stall out.. throttle setting makes gov pull back and rev tractor up.. this upps manifold vacume pulling a jet of fuel in, causes over rev, gov relaxes, and then the oscilation starts all over again.

look at your hand throttle rod to gover nor.. notice a small spring it passes thru.. then notic ehte gov to butterfly connection.

you can test it by disconnecting gov to butterfly aand see what she does manually controlling throttle with hand on butterfly.. that way you can see/hear if she is stalling out, then see what gov does by observation.

ps.. got the service manual?

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #3  
I have a 63 ford 2000 also and it is doing the same thing. I replaced the carburetor and it still happens. Not a fuel issue. I now want to check the linkage to see if they are set correctly. Someone else took the whole thing apart some time ago and I think the linkage needs to be readjusted. I don't know where the starting point is on the butterfly link as to the proper length and there in no mention of that in the service Manuel. Did you get any useful tips? I could sure use a hand here. Or it may be the governor itself.

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #4  
So is yours hunting? If so, at idle or load?

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #5  
So is yours hunting? If so, at idle or load?

My ford 3000 gasser is hunting, smoking, popping like a motorcycle. Actually it gets better under load. Soaked and cleaned zenith carb. Noticed the float had no spring. I assume it is gravity fed. The only fuel connection is from tank through filter into carb. Am I wasting my time without that spring on the float?

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #6  
3000 gasser uses a due pump up at the front of the engine.

You want a couple psi fuel pressure.

Hunting and popping can be lean..

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #7  
Guess i should add i just bought this thing. Replaced all ignition components. There are a couple fuel lines coming from up front, must be pump you mentioned. They are plugged and are just floating right there behind the carb where the sediment filter would be. I saw a post by someone mentioning converting to gravity feed. Could this be my case or should I leave everything alone until I get the pump back working? Know anywhere I might find a schematic of how it is supposed to be hooked up? Considering trashing this carb and getting a new one. That spring missing got me pondering what else might be gone.

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #8  
By the way for anyone having trouble getting spark after putting brand new points in, the isolator on my set of brand new points had metal sticking through the middle where it slides on the points so it's purpose was defeated. Just used the isolator off the old ones.

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #9  
you can repair the old pump ( a little challanging to get to, usually just a diaphragm ).. or you can get something like a 0-2 psi electric pump and install it.

post 64 fords like a fuel pump...

/ adjusting the governor on a Ford tracotr #10  
I will give that a try today after work. Would over fueling cause the same symptoms? I only ask because it's not like it is lacking power, runs in my opinion just like it should, just sounds like a Harley and has gasoline scented exhaust smoke. Actually turned one of the arms on the 3 point black as if it were a diesel. The governor starts to kick in with the surging effect after it warms up.