Milky looking transmission fluid

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
I have '64 Fordson Super Dexta. I would like to know what causes my transmission fluid to turn whittish. What can I do to get all the whittish fluid out of the transmission? Will this damage anything?

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #2  
Water leaked in. Empty, flush, change.

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #3  
Any gasket on the top that is loose will allow water to get in also a vent that is plugged will cause problems.
as was stated you want to drain it, and leave it for quite a while fill with Dex 3 ATF, then run it with no real load but enough to get it hot. Then drain and refill with the proper oil if it is really filled with water you may have to do it a few times. This is what they do on class eights when the water to transmission oil coolers leak.

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #5  
Is it a true leak or just moisture from temperature fluctuations over the years? I store my NH2220 outside and start seeing this every February. Once warmer weather comes and the tractor sees warmer, dryer weather along with the run times associated with long mowing periods, it goes away.

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #6  
Not sure about your model, but the 8n's leak around the shifter when the rubber gets old. Soundguy can tell you about a mixture of various fluids that helps get the water out...

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #7  
i'd dump in a half or gallon of diesel and a few pints of 90% rubbing alcohol.. circulate then drain.. refill with proper oil..

/ Milky looking transmission fluid #8  
I used this mixture in my Mitsubishi MT372; quart of diesel, a quart of atf, and 2 pints of 90% rubbing alcohol. Ran it for a bit then drained. It worked really well. May have to scale the volumes up for a bigger tractor I guess.