No spark Ford 3000 Gasser

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser #1  

bab288

Tractor
1969 Ford 3000, 2007 Simplicity Legacy XL 4X4 FEL
Here is the story. While I was changing the points and condenser I dropped the nut on the terminal. I had to pull the distributor to get it out. Changed the points and condenser. Set the gap and installed according to book.( I think).

Tried to start no luck. I pulled the plug and had no spark. I hooked plug wire to coil and checked for spark. Still no spark.

I started checking the ignition circuit. Here are the results.

Battery volts. 12.51

VDC @ batt terminal on coil. while cranking engine

MIN 10.55
MAX 10.74

With Jumper from Battery (+) to (+) terminal on coil and cranking engine

MIN 10.55
MAX10.77

I started working back looking for voltage drop. I found that the drop is being caused by the starter motor. I connected AMP clamp and had a reading of around 400 amps. That seems a little high. I will test again this morning with fresh charged battery.

Is there a way I can test the starter with the a meter.

Please help.

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser #2  
starter dray dropping you into the 10.5v range is not uncommon.. and should not give you a NO SPARK setup.. as that tractor has a 6V ignition coil, and gets full bat voltage to it due to ignition bypass during starting.. and when in run position, power goes thru a resistor wire.

doube vcheck your points.. they must go from open to shortt.. if they never close.. the coil never charges.. if they never open.. there will be no spark

post back

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser
I hope to get back to work on this tomorrow. I have a question about dwell. The book says that the dwell angle is 35-38 deg and would read 70-76 deg on the 6 cyl scale. The dwell tach I have access to only goes to 60 deg on that scale. Most of them I have looked at are the same. Where can I get a meter to check it with that won't break the bank. HF has a centech with 3 cyl on it for 30 bucks, but it had bad reviews. Any one ever use it? Thanks. Bryan

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser #4  
if it don't work.. take it back!

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser #5  
ps.. lots of auto stores let you rent tools for a small fee

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser
Got it running. Rechecked the point gap and it fired right up. Thanks sound guy.

/ No spark Ford 3000 Gasser #7  
glad to hear