Oil in water (8N)

/ Oil in water (8N) #1  

Varmint1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader
Been getting the 8N in working order, replaced points, cleaned the fuel tank, changed fuel shut off-sediment bowl. We've been running it around and I checked the water and the neck is black and when I run my finger in it it's black oily residue. Where can the oil be coming from, do I have a bad head gasket or something else, the engine runs great no miss or nothing.

/ Oil in water (8N) #2  
does the rad water have oil emunsion in it.. or is there just a thin scum of oily combustion byproducts at the top.. which is MOST common.

if just a thin skim, AND you are not loosing water, AND the oil has no water in it... keep on trucking.

/ Oil in water (8N)
I'm not losing water and there is no water in the oil, it's just a little on top of the water and it's on the neck of the radiator. You said combustion byproduct where does that come from

/ Oil in water (8N) #4  
combustion comes from one place in an IC engine.. the combustion cyl.. :)

it's really not a big deal if you have a lil oily film on top of the water on a 60 year old tractor.

if you are loosing sleep and just have an itch to take things apart.. pressure test the cooling system.. next remove thermo from top hose and run tractor with rad full to the neck and cap off and look for bubbles. if you got bubbles.. retorque head.. liekly won't help on an old setup.. but may. if still bubbles.. pull head, clean and go on with a new soft supply HG.. i like dry.. but some like copper coat.. etc.... both work..e tc.. go back on.. start and warm for 15m.. retorque head.. warm again.. retorque again.. etc. fellpro gaskets say they don't need it.. however in practice.. it don't hurt and is easy on a flatty anyway.. i like to retorque at least 3 times..

then test again for bubbles...

etc.

you call...

just watch it.. or keep fixing it and hope you don't fix it till you break it.. ;)

/ Oil in water (8N)
How can I be sure the governor is working on the 8N

/ Oil in water (8N) #6  
manually goose the carb butterfly rod and see if the governor pulls back against you ( to lower the rpm back to hand throttle setting, which you have artificially changed by opening the carb butterfly right at the carb ).

if it fights you.. it is at least doimng something. it may not be adjusted correctly, however.

now.. this kind of open question begs a question in reply.

why are you asking about the gov.. what are you observing that makes you think there is an issue...

/ Oil in water (8N)
My dad was asking if it was working, we hooked up the set if disc and was discing and didn't notice any change in rpm

/ Oil in water (8N) #8  
if rpm didn't change.. but load did.. then I'd say gov WAS working.

if she dropepd rpm under laod.. then i'd say it was not working correctly.

/ Oil in water (8N)
Here's a few pics of the 8N when we bought it

Attachments

• image-3089319385.jpg
    image-3089319385.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image-3784412753.jpg
    image-3784412753.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image-384604398.jpg
    image-384604398.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 249
   / Oil in water (8N)
I'll post some more pics tomorrow of it, not to bad for a 329 dollar tractor that runs and don't smoke