Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Default "New" 8N in the barn... oops

I bought this from my father and he dropped it off today. He wanted me to have it and gave me a good price. Time was when he would know something was wrong, and how to fix it...

I guess I should have looked it over better.

The first thing I npticed was 20 pounds of oil pressure. Then I pulled the dipstick; oops; water. So I checked the coolant... Oops,.oil.

There's no way in H**k I'm going to take this up with him. Don:t even go there. I'm just trying to decide how to get this so I can use it.

For now I'm just going to change the oil and coolant and park it until spring. Then decide what I' m going to do.
    Last edited by Jstpssng; 09-23-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Tractor
    JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader

Sounds like you got a blown head gasket or maybe a cracked head

Tractor
    Mahindra 4025

Default Re: "New" 8N in the barn... oops

20 lbs. of oil pressure! Man, that's like "new" for an 8n.
    RLee

Mahindra 4025
    JD TrailGator
    Club Car

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 630

I've got a nice clean 8-N myself, everything works ok. It starts out at 50 or 55 pounds of oil pressure, but in hot weather will drop down to 20 pounds. That's with 30 grade oil, or 15W/40. I'm in the lube oil business, and got some racing 20W/50 in quarts real cheap awhile back from another distributor. The tractor now maintains 35 pounds in 100 degree weather. It never smokes, knocks, runs great. But 20 pounds of pressure seems too low, try some 20/50 if it's not freezing weather.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng
    I bougjt thos from my father and he dropped it off today. He wanted me to have it and gave me a good price. Time was when he would know something was wrong, and how to fix it...

I guess I should have looked it over better.

The first thimg I npticed was 20 pounds of oil pressure. Then I pulled the dipstick; oops; water. So I checked the coolant... Oops,.oil.

There's no way in H**k I'm going to take this up with him. Don:t even go there. I'm just tryimg to decide how to get this so I can use it.

For now I'm just going to change the oil and coolant and park it until spring. Then decide what I' m going to do.
    Well, if he sold it to you at a good price, you ought to have "room" to rebuild the engine and still be ok don't you think? How far you take the rebuild is up to you. As others have mentioned it might only need a head gasket to fix the known problem. I would probably have the head worked, new rings and bearings since you will be doing motor work. Still that shouldn't be too bad, cost wise.

I completely understand not mentioning this to your dad. One way you could let him know, a month or so from now you could tell him you were using the tractor and and it started to get hot. So you stopped and checked it out, and found water in the oil. You know your pops, think he would offer to pay for the rebuild?

Good luck - and look on the bright side - you get to work on a tractor using tools!!!! Nothing wrong with that!!!
    Dean

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by Depmandog View Post
    Well, if he sold it to you at a good price, you ought to have "room" to rebuild the engine and still be ok don't you think? How far you take the rebuild is up to you. As others have mentioned it might only need a head gasket to fix the known problem. I would probably have the head worked, new rings and bearings since you will be doing motor work. Still that shouldn't be too bad, cost wise.

I completely understand not mentioning this to your dad. One way you could let him know, a month or so from now you could tell him you were using the tractor and and it started to get hot. So you stopped and checked it out, and found water in the oil. You know your pops, think he would offer to pay for the rebuild?

Good luck - and look on the bright side - you get to work on a tractor using tools!!!! Nothing wrong with that!!!
    yeah I know, i was just frustrated. The oil pressure didn't concern me, until i pulled the dipstick and saw water. I had hoped to use this and put the kubota in the repair shop... among other things for a head gasket.

For now I'm just going to change the fluids so I can keep things from corroding.
    At least I'll have plenty to do nights through the winter.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

drain the oil, change the filter to a fram c3, put in some cheap walmart 10w30 and atf-f fluid.

add coolant flush tot he coolant,

start her and run her for a few minutes.

i'd do a compression test and a cooling system leak down test if you have the gear.

drain the coolant flush and fill and drain rad and backflush block

drain oil.

now refill with some cheap oil again and a new filter.

refill rad with water.

now run her and see what happens.

check oil and water at frequent stoopages.

some oily scum in the rad is normal.. especially after years of use.. combustion byproducts get in a lil..and if head gasket is blown.. get in alot. since there are no oil passages in the N head.. if you are getting true oil in the rad, then it is a cracked block.

water in the oil.. can be from a bad head gasket. remember.. cooling system is 4 psi.... oil pressure system is what? 20 on yours?

many times condensation can get into the crankcase if she sat a while.

this flush and test run will show you were you are.. if a comp test is done.. even better. if a blown HG.. it's 25$ repalce it and see where you are at.

don't add glycol coolant to her yet.. it will wipe out mains fast.. once you decide it has no leaks or is fixed.. add af... otherwise if letting set over winter.. drain rad and block..

soundguy