861 ford diesel oil presure

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #1  

mj58

Tractor
ford 861 ferguson to20
hi to everyone i am new here and just brought home a 861 the old oil persure gauge looked like it wasnt working like it shoud so i put a new one on and it works it holds 40 # with the rpms up its when you go back to an idle it drops to 20 or less i have a oil filter comeing for it and intend to change it before i use it much any advice on this from you guys that know what your doing ?

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #2  
20 hot idle and 40 hot throttle are 'safe' numbers.. but indicate a pretty well worn red tiger... well worn with LOTS of life left in it mind you.

I have some absolutely abused and used red tigers that run that sort of pressure.. and I expect them to keep doing that another decade or two before they get to be worrysome.

ideally, a good red tiger should start up cold and hit near 60 psi on cold oil with some throttle as the relief cracks in mid 50's... with hot idle pressures usually being over 40.

I used 15w40 C rated oil in 99% of my machines.

you may be lucky have have really thinned out oil. see what the oil change does for you.

standard cannister is a fram ch6pl or napa 1004 standard spin on is a fram ph8a, supertech st8a, motorfraft fl1a napa 1452 or 1515 etc... usually a 3$ spin on and 6$ cartridge..

post back if ya have any more questions.. 53-64 are my favorite ford years..

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #3  
Great tractor. Cant really add to what soundguy said. They are a high HP machine in a small package:thumbsup:

Got any pics? Did you buy to use? Restore?

And welcome to TBN

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure
i got it to use but when i have the time i expect i will do some repainting and the like to it the tin work is not to bad a good degreaseing would make things look a lot better i got this tractor because it has a fel on it i will get a picture of it here when i can thank to you and soundguy have a good night mike

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #5  
get a service manual for it.. and don't forget to greae her and service the air filter... etc..

hyds, diffy, trans.. etc... radiator fluid..e tc..e tc..

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure
your right i need a good manul i bought a it manul when i got the oil gauge but it leaves a lot of stuff out any ideas on a good one would help thank you all mike

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #7  
the it manual is 'ok' it covers basic stuff. If you ever rebuild the engine or tranny.. I'd get the ford service manual .. untill then.. the I&T will get you changing oil.. repacking wheel bearings.. brakes and steering anf hyds / general chassis work outside of the trans and engine....

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #8  
SG why do they call them red tigers?

/ 861 ford diesel oil presure #9  
the ohv engine ie.. the 134 and 144 and 172 and 192 were the red tiger engine. was a big step up from the generally poor breathing design of L head flatty on the 9-2-8N