1953 Jubilee

/ 1953 Jubilee #1  

SABULA FARMER

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335SST
Hello all...
I am in need of some assistance with my NAA 53 Jubilee. I recently replaced my PTO with the 1 3/8 " shaft and placed a PTO overide clutch on it. Now when I turn on my PTO with a brush hog, it makes a "chattering" noise before it actually catches. Is this normal? Sounds like something is slipping. I also noted that there is a little play with the new clutch as well, not as much as the old PTO overide that was on it, but enough to notice. I dont want to ruin a new over ride clutch. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

/ 1953 Jubilee #3  
so.. you have a 1 3/8 pto shaft.. and are using the 1 3/8 orc.

and you installed it with a pin thru the outter section lined up with inner hole and hole in pto shaft and drifted it in to make sure the pin was not hanging up on the outter portion.

right?

/ 1953 Jubilee
Yes. That is what I did. I don't know why when I first start the brush hog it chatters a bit then catches?? Is it because I have the throttle up a little? I tried starting the mower with the tractor at idle and it will still do it... I'm at a loss.

/ 1953 Jubilee
Oh and I know the drift pin is in correct because the override clutch will spin freely when I turn off the pro or clutch it. Also with the tractor off, I can physically spin the clutch. I replaced the smaller pto shaft with the new 1 3/8 and a new o.r. Clutch because I thought the old one was bad....
Any ideas?

/ 1953 Jubilee #6  
at this point you will need to better and more clearly identify 'chatter'

is it somehting slipping or binding? rubbing?

poor fit.. ie loose orc?

damaged aprt.. IE.. orc slipping internally?

post back

/ 1953 Jubilee
Soundguy said:
at this point you will need to better and more clearly identify 'chatter'

is it somehting slipping or binding? rubbing?

poor fit.. ie loose orc?

damaged aprt.. IE.. orc slipping internally?

post back

Okay, here is what I came up with...
I had a guy come out and take a look at it today. He looked over the over ride clutch and pto shaft. He said it all looks good. He said you have to start the brush hog with it up out of the thick grass before engaging it. He thinks its the blades trying to lock into position, whenever I hear the clunking or chattering. He said it can only be a few different things and if it were a bad bearing it would do it all the time, and it ran like a champ when we disconnected the brush hog an engaged the pto. So he said to run it and see how it goes .

/ 1953 Jubilee #8  
well, you shouldn't be starting it at high rpm, and i usualy don't like starting them ALREADY in grass.. just too hard on the clutch.