Overheating

/ Overheating #1  

467ron

Tractor
Ford,8n
1949 Ford 8N keeps overheating anytips I should look at before I get into a bunch of money !!!!:confused::confused:

/ Overheating #2  
are you SURE it is overheating?

what are you doing and what are you observing?

1, what coolant are you running / concentration.

how full is the rad? just about anything over the ore will puke out.

running a 4 psi cap?

is it making steam?

getting oily residue in the water?

water in the oil>/

steam from the tail pipe or crank breather?

water on the plugs?

an N has a pretty oversized rad for an anemic engine.

using a thermostat?

radiator flowing good?

can it flow the full flow from a 1/2" garden hose shoved into the neck, out the lower drain without overflowing?

ever backflushed the block and chenged the core plugs?

ever changed the water pump?

she leak?

pusher or puller fan?

any fan wobble?

got a shroud?

any repairs that have been made that might have blocked off tubes in the core?

new repop radiator with small core? / less tubes?

non oem radiator with smaller core / less tubes?

have you flow tested the pump? ie.. top hose off and letting it suck rad and blow into bucket? occasionally an impellor rusts to a nub.. etc.

post back some details.

/ Overheating
New hoses upper and lower. put new thermostat in upper hose started machine ran it shortley and belched fluid out the filler neck using 50/50 mix water and antifreeze was going to order new water pump but wanted to ask questions first. when it ran last it blew a head gasket I replaced that and got it to run again now it is overheating.

/ Overheating #4  
did you retorque head after instal, and warming.

is it actually overheating? or continuing to pump combustion gasses into the cooling system?

have you compression tested her?

run her with no thermostat.. fill rad full and start engine.. if you immediatly get bubbles or combustion gasses pushing water out.. you still got issues with t he head or block.

post back

/ Overheating
No did not retorque bolts after starting I did try to check some things today but it started raining and I can only work on it outside. but it's supposed to be better weather tomorrow so I hopen to do some checking on it and try to get it inside.

Last edited:
   / Overheating #6  
post back when you do

/ Overheating
OK went today ended up getting new water pump only 40 bucks torqued the head bolts put it back together ran great for about 5 minutes and then blew the cap off the radiator and started spewing fluid out shut it down real quick got the thermostat home and am going to check it on the stove. any other ideas welcome what direction is the flow?

Last edited:
   / Overheating #8  
head thru top hose to rad.

oif it's plowing the cap off.. take the thermo out and start it and look for bubbles. then do a comp test.

blowing the ap off after 5 minutes is not a normal overheat... it's got to be getting combustion gasses into the coolant.

/ Overheating
The cap was not on tight after I removed the thermostat I cranked it over not trying to start it and I had fluid coming out of the upper radiator hose. I will check other things per your suggestions as I am lost right now I dont have oil in the water or water in the oil the only place is the fluid coming out the filler cap

/ Overheating #10  
comp test her and look for bubbles when running with no thermo